Post Top Ad

Chicken Gnocchi Soup

I like to do hard things. I love challenges. And I hate people telling me I can't do something. Gnocchi...has been one of those things that I have wanted to conquer but have never been brave enough because Slim Jim told me they are really hard. He pretty much summed it up as the only people that he ever saw do it successfully is the older ladies in Argentina with Italian decent.
In the last year I have found two authentic Gnocchi recipes that made me think that I might just be able to do it. And I really wanted to because one of my recent cravings has been the chicken gnocchi soup from the Olive Garden. So I peeled and boiled my potatoes away followed the recipes, but I realized something on my last potato as I shredded it into the bowl.....it didn't get boiled long enough. It wasn't soft enough. Thinking I was probably freaking out about nothing I continued on my merry way.....I added my flour. I rolled it. I cut it. I boiled it. Only to have the yucky starchy little alien creatures arise out of the boiling water...dinner time was quickly approaching and I was beginning to feel the walls closing in because I had been working on this for 1 1/2 hours and didn't have anything else planned. Just then I remembered that I had once come across a not so authentic but would help me save dinner recipe for gnocchi's that called for instant potatoes.
I then found a recipe for gnocchi's made from instant potatoes on allrecipes.com (this is where I go when I need a recipe and all of my favorite cookbooks/blogs don't have it). The recipe I found had 280 reviews and a rating of 4 1/2 stars, I read some of the review and kept in mind the things that were mentioned. I went with a new sense of hope and purpose... to make Gnocchi's even if they weren't 100% authentic but 100% delicious. It went so much better my dough came together great, and in a few minutes I had all of my little Gnocchi pillows ready to plop into my cream soup.

Quick Gnocchi Recipe
adapted by Scary
originally from Sandy Metzler from Allrecipes.com

1 cup dry potato flakes
1 cup boiling water
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
  
Place potato flakes in a medium-size bowl. Pour in boiling water; stir until blended. Let cool. 
Stir in egg, salt, and pepper. Blend in enough flour to make a fairly stiff dough, just add a little at a time then your dough will come together a lot easier (you might not even need the full cup). Turn dough out on a well floured board. Knead lightly. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a long thin roll, the thickness of your thumb (unless you have tiny thumbs then do it the size of your husband thumbs). With a knife dipped in flour, cut into pieces the width of your thumbnail (they will expand in size in the boiling water). Place a ten gnocchi in boiling water. As the gnocchi rise to the top of the pot (probably about 3 minutes), remove them with a slotted spoon. Repeat until all are cooked.

Placed cooked gnocchi's in a bowl and set aside as you work on the soup.

Chicken Cream Soup Base
by Scary
1/2 stick of butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons of flour
1 cup of cream
2 cups of milk
1 teaspoon of Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon of ground oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
2 chicken breasts (cubed and cut)
1 batch of gnocchi's
3 carrots pealed and diced
2 cups of water

Melt butter in a stockpot on low heat. Then add garlic. Once garlic is flavorful add flour. Make a rogue. Then  add cream and milk. Add seasonings, precooked chicken breast, gnocchi's. Fill a small sauce pan with warm water and carrots. Boil carrots until they are soft and then put the carrots and the carrot water in with the rest of the soup. And right then it is ready to serve.

I cooked my chicken the day before while working with some other chicken so after the gnocchi dilemma it went really fast. And I am thinking in the fall when Slim Jim goes back to school this might be one of those go to meals that I can whip up in 30 minutes. 

1 comment:

  1. This post was at the bottom of one I read yesterday as a "you might also like" and I had never heard of chicken gnocchi soup so I clicked over. To be honest I ended up making a thrown together with what I had version of this, but it was sooo good. Thanks for the inspiration. My husband loves my gnocchis and was pleasantly surprised to find them in a creamy chicken soup! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad