Post Top Ad

Cuddle Soft Blanket with Satin Ruffles

I am so pleased with how this blanket turned out. The best part of this quilt it was made with scrap material from her blessing/christening gown and cut fabric that I found in the remnant fabric bin at JoAnne's. The story behind this quilt is that I had gone into JoAnne's to grab some printed canvas/outdoor upholstery fabric to make a diaper bag out of (that project will be posted soon). I walked by the remnant bin and found 1 1/3 yards (just short of 48 by 60, standard crib quilt is 45 by 60) of The Cuddle Soft in Remnant bin. At 50% of the current price I couldn't pass it up.
I did not take pictures as I went since I was making it up as I went, but encase you would like to make a similar one I have written down the process in the greatest detail as I can think but if you have any questions just leave a comment on this post and I will try to answer it. 
When I unwrapped it I was so pleased to find that it was nice and soft on both sides, so instead of applying a back to it I decided to put my ruffling foot to use and ruffle up some satin. I cut my satin in 3 inch strips and then sew the strips together (I think I did 8, because I knew I would loose length in the ruffling process and wasn't sure how much I would end up needing). I then ruffled my strips so that there would be a pleat every 6 stitches with a depth of 4.
I then folded the Cuddle Soft fabric horizontally and vertically so all of the outside corners would be lined up. I then pinned them so they would stay in place while I cut. I then I place a large plate over the top of the corners and traced the rounded shape. I then removed the plate and cut all of the layers at one time (this gave me a nice rounded edge to work with.
After that I then lined up and pinned the raw edge my ruffled satin  to the raw edge of my cuddle soft, with the satin laying on top of the right side of the Cuddle soft. I then stitched the satin on with a 1/2 inch stitch. When that was all attached I wanted to be able to cover my raw edges on the backside. So I cut (6) 1 1/2 inch strips of satin and sewed them all together. I then pinned and sewed the raw edge of the satin strips to the raw edge of the ruffles and the cuddle soft, with a 1/2 inch inseam. I then ironed the satin down and folded the satin edge around the ruffle/cuddle soft inseam (at this point you should have no raw edges showing). I pinned it so that it would stay down and in place. Then I lined the satin edge with the left side of my presser foot (most pressure feet have a right and left line that you can follow, it is half way between where the needle comes down and the edge of the presser foot) and had my thread come down in the middle. I then kept my hand tightly stretched across the fabric so I wouldn't have any puckers. DONE!
The Cuddle Soft Blanket will be so nice and comfortable to wrap our sweet baby girl in and the fluffiness of the cuddle soft fabric and the smooth silkiness of the satin ruffles make a complementary contrast. The white ruffles also help anchor the bright colors of the bright hearts. One of my favorite parts is that it is totally budget friendly.
Fabric Regular price: $17.32
My Cost for Cuddle Soft Fabric: $5.13 (50% of the current price, which the fabric was on sale for $7.79/yrd instead of the $13/yrd)
My Cost for Satin Ruffles:  Less than $1 because I made my own binding and the fabric I used I got for a $1/yrd.
Total Cost of Blanket: $6

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet. You can personalize it to match any decor. I am a new follower visiting from Sugar Bee Crafts. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad