Post Top Ad

Sweet Lentils Baby!

OK.
You may or may not be aware that my family is virtually meatless. (Think Word of Wisdom)http://www.lds.org/study/topics/word-of-wisdom?lang=eng We have been this way for a month and a half. Yesterday in the spirit of improvisation(or right brained madness-take your pick) I made something up.
And now we have a new recipe that everyone ate, and no one complained about. In fact, there was none left to send Hubbin for work this morning, so then I know it was good.

This is about the color and consistency- though I didn't take any pictures, because I am out of batteries.

Sweet Lentils Baby!
Lentils have a 3:1 ratio so I used 4 cups of lentils and 12 cups water.
I let those cook for about 25 minutes.
In a frying pan in about a tbs. of oil I sauteed chopped apples(2), chopped onion(1), and minced fresh garlic(1 large clove).
After that was browned and yummy I added it to the lentils.
Then I added 1 tbs. Saigon cinnamon from Costco(1 year old)
I also added about 1/3 of a cup of Blackstrap Molasses
I added 1 lb of carrots (peeled and sectioned in 4ths)
Then I simmered it for about 1/2 hour.
This soup is so good! It has such a yummy flavor. It will probably make it on the once a week menu.
This was our entire dinner- and everyone went to bed full and happy.

(sodium may seem like a lot, I looked it up-3 grams is the daily limit-so your about half way there)

Nutritional information


8 Servings
Amount Per Serving
Calories200.5
Total Fat1.2 g

Saturated Fat0.1 g

Polyunsaturated Fat0.4 g

Monounsaturated Fat0.4 g
Cholesterol0.0 mg
Sodium1,788.9 mg
Potassium934.0 mg
Total Carbohydrate40.2 g

Dietary Fiber10.9 g

Sugars5.4 g
Protein9.7 g

Vitamin A120.9 %
Vitamin B-120.0 %
Vitamin B-619.2 %
Vitamin C13.0 %
Vitamin D0.0 %
Vitamin E2.9 %
Calcium17.0 %
Copper28.8 %
Folate48.4 %
Iron34.8 %
Magnesium18.7 %
Manganese55.3 %
Niacin8.8 %
Pantothenic Acid 9.3 %
Phosphorus 21.1 %
Riboflavin6.9 %
Selenium7.9 %
Thiamin14.6 %
Zinc10.6 %

1 comment:

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad