Post Top Ad

The Shirred & Ruffled Top (Tutorial)

Boston has recently entered the 3-6 month size and since most of the clothing that her cousin passed down to her is wintery it has given me a great excuse to make some fun spring and summery clothing.
Last night when Slim Jim was at work and the kiddos were asleep in their bed I whipped out this little number. I asked her how she liked her new shirt and this was her response.

I love those smiles.
For a 3-6 Month size you will need 1/2 yard of material (I used some scraps I had)
I started by measuring Boston's chest.
Boston's chest measurement is 17 inches. For Shirring I usually figure 1.5 times the fabric for the largest measurement (in this case the chest). Which would be 25.5", I was a little short of that but probably only by 3/4" so I went for it still. I cut the length at 8.5 inches because I wanted the ruffle to hit her at 8 inches and I knew I would be loosing 1/2" for seam allowance. I wanted my final ruffle to be an 1" in height and I would be finishing the edge with a rolled hem (if I would have been doing a traditional hem I would have made my cut at 2").  I cut my shirt on the selvage edge so I didn't have to worry about finishing the top.
Cut Chart, put the 25.5" edge on your printed selvage edge
I sewed the strips for the ruffles together with 1/2" seam allowance. Then I ran it through my ruffling foot, having it pleating every 6 stitches with a depth of 2, running my stitching at 1/4" from the edge (Don't have a Ruffling foot? Don't worry a slight gather will do the trick, I am just lazy and HATE gathering).

I then set it aside the ruffles sewed 5 rows of shirring with my elastic thread spacing them about 1/4" and starting it with 1/4" from the top of the salvage edge. (Need help with shirring? Ashley from Make It and Love it has a great tutorial for shirring)
After I had completed my shirring I folded the width in half so the right sides would be touching each other, I pinned the sides together so my shirring rows matched up. I sewed them together with my sewing machine and then finished the edges with my serger (if you don't have a serger, just finish your edges with a zig zag stitch).

I then had a tube with shirring at the top and to the bottom I pinned my ruffles. Since I did the pleating and not gathering then there was a little extra fabric that I kept on until I sewed the ruffles around and then I closed up the edges (similar process to the Home from the Hospital Outfit).
Once the ruffle was attached I top stitched the bottom of the shirt to keep the ruffle down and to give it a more finished look. I hemmed the bottom of the ruffle with a rolled hem on my serger.

I then cut 4- 5" straps and attached them with a tight zig zag stitch. 

The whole thing took me about 30 minutes, while I watched last night's episode of Glee.
And this morning I had one happy girl who was glad that her mom made the perfect comfortable top to go with her Ruffly pants (Target clearance $1.50).

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad