Post Top Ad

Savory Indian Lentils

This recipe came from a friend of mine.  She is consistent about using and replenishing her food storage.  After a week of vacation, I decided I better make something a little more nutritional/economical for dinner.  I loved this dish!

I made the lentils ahead of time(in the morning, and threw them in the fridge).  I made about 4 cups worth.  (I use the orange and green lentils-because they are prettier to look at on the shelf.

1 tbs butter,
1/4 c water
1 rough chopped(I like big chunks) onion
2 minced cloves of garlic
1 t salt
1 t turmeric
1 t cumin
1/4 t cardamon
1/4 t sugar
juice from one ripe lime

Add all of the ingredients in a fry pan (not the lentils).  (I added about a 1/4 of a t of curry- but I love curry, so I couldn't help myself :) - I liked it- but it wasn't in the original recipe)  Simmer until the onions are clear.  Then add the lentils and warm them.
This has about the consistency of re-fried beans.  We ate it on top of flour tortillas.  Yum!  I loved the lime flavor, and this new way to eat cheep food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad