Post Top Ad

Maybe I Should Be A Hermit


So most of the time life is completely crazy, insane, and busy, but a lot of fun and I love it. Today was an exception to the love for the insane. Now that I have 2 kids, there are some days that I wonder why I even bother trying.


Today started out as one of those crazy good days. Scary and Brooklyn, my friend Suzi and her toddler and baby, and Ty and I ate crepes together at 8:30. On top of the crepes we put homemade apple syrup that Scary, Suzi, and I had made the day before. They were absolutely delicious. This was my very first experience making them, but I was grateful to have a crepes tutorial to read last night.
  
Immediately after breakfast Ty, Heber, and I hopped into the car to take Ty to her 2 year old appointment (it was so exciting, I found out she doesn’t have to get any more shots until kindergarten and she didn’t get any today). She was 36 inches tall which puts her in the 95th percentile (can you believe she’s 3 feet tall?).

Right after the appointment I joined Scary as we learned about essential oils (from doTerra). They seem super cool, but also really expensive. I know they test all their oils for purity, but I think I will take my chances and buy my oils at a natural medicine store where I can get them for 1/3 of the price.  Right after I had Heber I got a few bad migraines and I was really grateful to have the peppermint oil to help get rid of them (random fact: did you know peppermint oil diminishes milk supply? I was glad to learn this today because it seems like my milk takes forever to stop coming), but it seemed that the cheap stuff met my needs just fine.

Once we left the meeting I put Ty down for a nap and whipped up 5 batches of bread sticks for the activity we had tonight. It’s a really simple recipe, but it still took a long time and I spent over an hour and a half cooking breadsticks alone (excluding mixing and rising).

Then I made 3 baby wraps (1 for me, 1 for Scary, and the 3rd wrap will be used in a give-away on the blog—details to follow) that Scary and I had planned out so that we can go to the Water Park with our toddlers, but still hold our babies and not keep them soaked by being in a normal wrap.

After that Heber and Ty woke up, we changed our clothes and went to the church.

I am part of the Activity Committee for Relief Society (my calling in my church). We tried to plan this special night for all of the girls. We had with fancy decorations (forget-me-not flowers), yummy food and desert (chicken alfredo, Caesar salad, homemade bread sticks, and cheese cake with fruit on top), a guest speaker from  BYU-Idaho, and even a nursery to take your toddlers so that you can actually enjoy the meeting instead of wondering what your kid will get into next (or trying to keep them quiet).

Maybe for most of the girls we met our goal, but it’s sad when you try so hard to make things nice and you don’t even really get to reap the benefits as well.

It’s probably no one’s fault but my own. Heber really seems to sense my stress, especially when it’s something elaborate and drawn out. In these really big moments where I can finally check off my list that I have done all the prep work and it’s time to sit back and relax, Heber is usually screaming.

There were 4 hours of constant scrambling to get stuff taken care of for this activity (while still trying to meet the needs of my kids). That means 4 hours that Heber was exposed to my tension. Most of the 2 hours of the activity he spent  screaming (the exception was when he was eating). To top it off Ty didn’t want to be in the nursery and wanted to be with me. I got nothing out of the event but exhaustion and cold, rushed food. I ended up giving up on enjoying the activity and going home early.

I really need to work harder to stay away from things that make me so crazy because the effects are so detrimental to Heber. His blessing day was a similar experience to this. He cried all through his blessing (except every time Power Shoes would say Heber’s name) and all through Sacrament meeting.

It’s probably not that the everyday insanity is too bad, it’s just when we leave home and are around people that Heber is super fussy.


If you have pointers or ideas I would love your comments because I don’t know what to do, short of becoming a Hermit and staying away from large crowds or events for the next 18 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad