Anyone who has seen Napoleon Dynamite can faintly remember the horse shirt that he wears in one of the scenes, the thing that some of you that aren't from rural Idaho might not know is that the horse shirt is a true representation of Idaho citizens in the 90's. I remember horse shirts being the coolest thing in elementary, everyone had them (along with neon shoelaces and double pair of socks). My mom went to a screen printing shop when she visited West Yellowstone and came back with one of the coolest shirts I had ever seen. I always thought my mom looked so elegant in her horse screen printed sweatshirt.
Yesterday, Al and I were going through the refashioning pile and I was so surprised when she pulled out my mom's beautiful horse sweatshirt from the 90s. We talked about how we had both loved the shirt when we were kids. She said the last time she was home Mom sadly put it in the DI pile, Al rescued it. We talked about the possibilities, we finally decided on a horse sweatshirt dress (that we later changed to a sweatskirt).
1. Cutting the sleeves and collar off.
2.Seam rip off the ribbing so that it can be used for the waist band of the skirt
4. Cut ribbing to waistband measurements.
5 Unfold ribbing and sew right sides together (with a small zig zag stitch to keep stretching ability), then fold back.
6. Sew right sides together on sides of the skirt.
8. Cut Elastic 1 inch smaller than waistband measurement. (our elastic was 1/2" but you could use larger than that as long as it is wider than your ribbing band)
10. Over lap ends of elastic and zig zag the top of it till secure.
12. 1/2" of the bottom of the sweatshirt to create a hem (also a zig zag stitch).
You might love it so much that you will be inspired to make a shirt. Just maybe.
For the shirt we cut off the collar and shorten the sleeves on a little boy's undershirt then Al used her darning foot to sew on the back Running Wild.
I am sure for the people from California or Florida that have retired sea creature sweatshirts this could also be useful for you.