Post Top Ad

Surely Stylish Scarlet


As I was reading the themes for this season's P.R.&P. As soon as I read the details for the white sheet challenge I knew what I would be doing. You all remember Scarlet's white dress from the opening Gone with the Wind.  But then I realized as much as I love the skirt...but HATE the top. There I said it I think it is ugly I hate the abundance of lace on the sleeves and neckline.




I didn't know what would go with all those ruffles, then I found this sweet website: How Do We Run On? I was inspired by all of Scarlet's fashion statements not just this one. Then I was reminded of her Honeymoon Outfit:
Boom, it hit me. Modern twist on classy designs.







The skirt is a circle skirt (based on the instructions from Dana Made it) rows and rows of ruffles. I finished the edges of the strips with a red rolled hem to give a decorative feature without the weight or fuss of lace. I used my ruffling foot to make large strips of ruffles until I had enough to make five rows ruffles, 2.5 inches in height. This took the full length of a king sized sheet 6 times cut at 2.75 inches (I lost some to my rolled hem). The red elastic is in place of her red band on her dress.
The shirt I made from small portions of 3X Large shirts I found for a $1 at Walmart. I used Simple Simon & Company's 3 Seam Caftan tutorial. The white part was made by cutting a 7 by 16 inch rectangle. The black I used the bottom of the shirt so I didn't add any more for bottom hem. That rectangle was 6.5 by 16 inches. I serged the white with the black and then serged down the sides.
The design was cut out on freezer paper using Al's Silhouette Cameo, the black decoration was done with craft paint with fabric paint medium and the white decoration was done with white spray paint.
I love this shirt with pants. And Ty had such a good time playing with the shirt and she loves the red covered buttons on the sleeve.
 photo blogbutton_zpsb1fa0f6d.jpg

6 comments:

  1. good idea to do separates, 2 looks in one

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a beautiful dress! Love the separates too and that ruffly skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your take on the white sheet challenge! I love that your garment still has a lot of WHITE, and I love the red rolled hem! I love how you stayed true to your inspiration while adjusting for your own taste! I would vote for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This is totally amazing! I'm so impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I just love this little girls outfit! Thanks for linking up this post to The Best Blog Recipe’s Weekend re-Treat #10!

    I know I’m running a little bit behind in pinning but I wanted to stop by and pin your image to My Link Parties Craft/DIY & Recipe Boards while I was here.

    Hope to see you link up again at the party this weekend that just went LIVE for the weekend!

    Shauna
    http://thebestblogrecipes.blogspot.com/
    http://ready2loseweight.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad