Post Top Ad

Grandma Twila's Banana Cream Pie {Heirloom Recipe}

Our Grandma Twila passed away when I was a senior in high school. She had terminal cancer and when she received her diagnosis they told her that she had 1 1/2 years, but it ended up only being 21 days. It happened all so suddenly there wasn't time to finish up loose ends her house was left like a museum for her everyday. 
Summer 2003- A few months before her passing

Every year we went to her house for Thanksgiving, her house was full of laughter, aunts, crazy uncles and fun cousins. And the food was always amazing. She usually had enough desserts that we could alternate turkey, mashed potatoes and homemade rolls with a variety of homemade pies. Pumpkin, banana, coconut pies from Grandma and a variety of other pies from the rest of the adult women.
The evenings leading up to Thanksgiving were usually dedicated to pie making. I remember as a young teenager being invited to help with pies. Helping with Grandma was like being surrounded by sunshine, her infectious laugh was loud and full of joy.
This summer I went into my Grandma's house and all of her cookbooks had dust on them but as I flipped through the pages I was moved as I touched the pages that had been dirtied by her lifetime of home cooking. I only wrote down recipes that the pages were well worn or her handwritten adjustments were marked on the pages. This recipe was found on a very well worn page and it took me back to those joyful warm moments.

Grandma Twila's Banana Pie
2/3 c sugar
1/4 c corn starch
1/2 tsp. salt
3 c milk
4 egg yolk, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter or margarine softened
2 tsp vanilla
2 large bananas

Bake pie shell. Stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt in saucepan. Blend milk and egg yolk; gradually stir into sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat blend in butter and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto filling in saucepan and cool to room temperature. Combine banana with pudding and then put in pie shell and refrigerate for 2-4 hours until firm and top with sweetened whipped cream.

Looking for a pie crust recipe I have heard good things about The Pioneer Woman Pie Crust.
Looking for a Sweetened Whipped Cream recipe? I love this one.

2 comments:

  1. I see a lot of Rhett in this picture of little you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this recipe! Thanks for getting it. My daily bread making these last two weeks has had me wishing I had Grandmas bread recipe, just so she could be part of the process. Thanks again!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad