Post Top Ad

Try Again Mom & Three Year Olds are Hard.

This month has been hard, I have had a hard time with how to be a good mom to Ryder. We have had lots of missed naps, outbursts in the store, running off at the store, destruction and plum disobedience. I felt like my mommy world was spinning out of control. I had reach my done point. I knew I couldn't wake up the next day exactly the way I had before and Ryder and I be happy.
I felt inspired to go to the Lord and hear what he would have me do. I then came across "Of Regrets and Resolutions" by President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as I read his words I knew that I needed to change my actions and how I parented. I needed set aside time to just mess around with my kids doing the things they love, instead of focusing just on their physical needs (food, clean shelter, clean clothes, etc.), I needed to make a critical choice to look for those things that they need emotionally.
Goals I took out of this talk were to:
Purposely living each day ~ I usually do a pretty good job with filling my day with things to do, but purposely living is something that I need to start doing early in the morning when my kids first wake up (usually about 6 am). I decided to let Ryder help with some of the physical needs and spending emotional time together just talking, like making breakfast. We made waffled french toast which worked really good for breaking it up between the two of us and the kids love it.
source: Waffled french toast from Wafflizer

Pay attention to those you are with and not always multitasking~ Yikes, this one is very hard for me because I love multitasking but I have come to realize that often it means that I am doing only 50% of a bunch of jobs. I know that when I am focused more with those around me and less with the technology that is around me I am happier and more efficient person.
 Make those around you feel important and loved~ One of Ryder's needs that I have been ignoring is his need to get outside and play, because it is often cold and I don't want to deal with all the drama of getting the kids ready. Because he hasn't been getting his outside time he was emotionally but not physically exhausted when it came time for nap time. This week I tried to plan one outside activity a day so that Ryder could wear himself out. Though this outside time took anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours of time out of my day it saved me so much time in disciplining because he was getting his desire and need met. This simple addition to our day showed Ryder that I love him and I respected the importance of his desire to be outside.

I am so grateful that I get those terrible weeks that humble me so that I can go back to the mommy drawing board and try again. I am so blessed to be able to squeeze and hug and cuddle these precious babies and I don't want to get done with this stage and feel like I missed opportunities to let my kids know that I love them.
Ryder just rolled out of bed and ran out here with the biggest smile, so I better get to some hugging and cuddling, see you all later.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate... my son is 3.. and yes I have had the conversation with myself about what in the world am I doing wrong as a mom... why is he acting CRAZY... last we I tried something very simimlar about focusing on making every day a special day... activities that involve what he likes, and not so many errond running on things I need to do. Yes, I do still find time to fit those errands in, but he is night and day more in tune with being a good listener doing the things I need to do, once we have OUR special time together on things he likes. The cold weather makes it challenging at times, but the vitamin D from the sun has helped the both of us in truely enjoying life and each other!!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad