Post Top Ad

acrylic landscape



I have had many people tell me that they would never be brave enough to paint.  As I was painting today I started to realize that painting is just like everything else.  You can do it if you decide that you want to.  Another one of my motto's is don't quit until you like it.  
So I am going to try and walk you through how I paint a picture.  



   First I like to find a picture that has good coloring and composition.
                                        
I tried to find the credits for this photo, but I couldn't.  I found this image on a google search for beautiful Montana Landscapes
                         
Next I break the picture into shapes.  So for this picture as you can see, on the bottom half there are basically 2 triangles, a green and an orange triangle.  In the center their is a long rectangle that goes the entire width of the picture, and on top there is basically a wash of light blue with a few defined shapes.
So to start, I do the background, or the sky.  
Just a cloudy blue wash.  
Next I go in and do the mountains in a navy blue wash. 
 Next, I add the lower green triangle, and finally the lower orange triangle.
Now the picture has a basic structure, without any defining details.
I like to do the mountains next, adding details, and color, shading, and lines.  Then I finish the clouds.  My technique for the clouds is to use a lot of round motions with the brush, and never lift up the brush until I run out of paint.  Then when I feel I have enough white clouds on the page, I go back in and define them with a bit of color.  Next I move on to the green field.  I use a flat brush (This is the only brush I use, for the entire painting)
                                           
It is razor thin. I put about 3 different colors of paint on my brush, and dab away, making thousands of little lines all over the section that I am painting, always starting in the back and working horizontally across the page, and then moving down the painting and across again. When I did the grren triangle I used combinations of blue, yellow, green, and brown.  For the red triangle I used combinations of red, green, orange, brown, and yellow.   If it starts looking to uniform, I turn the brush a bit, and continue working.  And Wallah! a few hours later, you have a landscape worth hanging.
                                   
                                                         This the completed painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad