A while back we took the kids to an all you can eat buffet, I got Boston a plate of mashed potatoes and went back to get Ryder some food. And before I could start feeding the potatoes to her with a spoon she had it everywhere within her arms reach.As people walked by they chuckled and some people offered condolences that we would have to clean her up. And I chuckled as I realized that it would be impossible to get her cleaned up. Situations like this have become more of the rule than the exception to it.
Traditional Bibs only protect in the 4 by 5 inch space that the bib covers, so we usually just strip her down and then redress her. Which she hates getting wiped down afterwards. On Friday I made a fitted vinyl tablecloth for a family friend as I was wondering what to do with the scraps I remember I had pinned this little bib pattern from fleetingthings, so after few modification I made this little number:
|PS. This picture was taken after I did the pudding test and then I just dunked it in water and hung it to dry|
I omitted the toweling since my vinyl is waterproof and flannel backed.
I sewed bias to the end of my sleeves before I sewed them together (since vinyl is a beast to hem) and I thought that it would be a congruent look to the bias trim that is around the neck and bottom.
I tacked my seams open before applying the bias trip. And top stitched on both sides of the sleeves.
Instead of Velcro I used snaps because I don't like when Velcro ruins clothes when it is tossed in the wash. I should have (but didn't think about it until after I installed them) put interfacing on the back flaps so that it was strong enough to deal with the pulling of the snaps apart.
I added buttons at the neck and the arm for decoration so that it looks more like a stylish shirt and less like a bib.
|Step 1. Get annoyed at mom for giving you a pudding cup but not opening it yet|
|Step 2. Put your fingers in the pudding|
|Step 3. Work on Covering your face and bib in chocolate|
|Step 4: Test complete, have mom soak in water for a minute and hang to dry.|
This morning I decided to put the bib to the test and give Boston a pudding cup. I was so pleased with how well it covered her PJ's. And as of right now its the best bib that we own, but I am going to the drawing board today to make slight adjustments to the pattern for full coverage. Because the vinyl is stiffer than cotton with toweling then it didn't drape as well as I would have liked so I will be adding a send tie back to keep the bottom in place. I also think I will be adding pocket so that it catches the food before it hits the clothes and making the top a little longer.
After I sold plasma today I went to the fabric shop and bought some really cute Oil cloth to make a new bib with the adjustments suggestions listed above.