Post Top Ad

Crib Re-purpose: Design Studio



Coming up with the Design
A design station is something that Scary and I talked about putting together for a very long time. I wanted something to organize everything I needed for sewing projects, but was unsure of how to have all that I needed and still have something aesthetically pleasing. We keep our sewing machines and tools in our living rooms, so it needs to look good.


It's actually funny how this project went down. This was the one part of the crib I had no idea what to do with and this is the one crib re-purpose that I truly reap benefits from daily. It was late one night when the idea came to us. Scary and I were walking around the house with the side of the crib in tow. We were holding it up to the ceiling saying it could be used to hang something on, we were taking it to the table saying it could be the backrest to a bench, and probably twenty other ideas that didn't fit the bill. Originally, we had thought that maybe we could use it to hang quilts on since I love them so much, but I needed something that was both functional and space efficient.

Sketch of original plan for Design Studio

Scary had the bright idea that we finally make the design studio that we’d always talked about but never done. I held it up on the wall above my sewing machine and instantly loved the thought of it. We stayed up until at least 2am planning and discussing all of the possibilities and things that we should include on it (between our own ideas and things we had seen on pinterest). Probably  about 3 hours before this, our husbands had grown bored of our crafty conversation and greeted their pillows for the night.


Getting Supplies
After Scary went home I stayed up even later price checking the bits and pieces of it on the internet. The next day I went to Ace to see what they had by way of the things I wanted. Because I wanted it done as soon as possible and prices weren’t all that different, I ended up getting pretty much all of it there. Between the sheet metal, wood (a lot of places do one cut free), corkboard sheets, spray paint, towel rack, hose clamps, wooden dowels, large hooks, and aluminum rod I had spent about $60.


I did make a few changes from the original plan to what I ended up doing, but it was a good place to start. Since the window shutters were costly and not necessary, I ended up going with both cork sheet and sheet metal. My logic was there would be things you would need or want to push pin through and things you wouldn’t want to have holes in.


Putting it Together
I was going to make the magnets with the glass rocks and paper behind them, but that seemed costly and extra steps I wasn’t willing to take. I ended up going through my coin jar and choosing years that were significant to me or were unique. Then I used E6000 to glue the magnets to the coins. I actually love this look and how we could eliminate some of the bulk in magnets.


Scary took a picture of my rug and worked her magic in Photoshop so that I could have the outline of the flower from my living room rug as an image to cut vinyl on my silhouette and incorporate in my design studio (I used vinyl as both a stencil and regular application). I ended up using this shape on the sheet metal and the clip board.  I appreciate how cohesive it makes my sewing space to the living room. We also tried to go with the same color pallet that was already being used.


I had Power Shoes cut the top 3/8” off the top rail of the crib so that we could have a flat edge to add the shelf to. We also had to cut of the ends of the crib, similar to what we did on the headboard.  Then we used wood glue and screws to attach the shelf to the top part of the crib (my Dad’s saying is, “glue it and screw it”). In any part that involved using the screw driver we always pre-drilled so that the wood wouldn’t crack and chip.


Power Shoes also drilled out holes on the crib so that I could put in the cut wooden dowels. On some of them, they were a little loose so I just slid them in with some wood glue and they stayed. Since I used cork sheet, I had to take some scraps of wood and put it between the railings behind where the cork sheet would go the exact height. Before putting any of it on the crib, I used the matching paint and painted everything that hadn’t yet been painted.


I then spray painted the sheet metal and cork sheet, with my designs (the design from the rug on the sheet metal and Al’s Creation Station for the cork). When everything was ready to go, we attached it all. I used industrial spray adhesive to attach the cork sheet to wood.  And I used screws to attach the sheet metal to the other side. The rest of the project was just tying off loose ends. In total I spent about a week of working on it after I put the kids to bed until I could no longer keep my eyes open (probably close to 30 hours).

The last and final step I needed was to put a phrase that inspires sewing to me. I often read One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. One of these days while reading this as I was putting Ty down for a nap, I realized that I had the perfect quote. It is exactly how I feel about sewing and creating, “If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad