Post Top Ad

I ♥ Pancakes (Even if they are Dairy Free)

Last week when I was on the phone with Jo and she told me that she had thought that Valentine's Day was only a few days away. I laughed and told her she must simply be on Pinterest time, because not only is my pinterest stream full of Valentine's ideas but Saint Patrick's Day and Easter. I am sure in a few months it will be on to 4th of July stuff.
The fun thing about Jo's confusion is that we have been able to share with you our Valentine's day posts in Pinterest time. (Did you miss Jo's cute food? Here is the link for her heart carrots, pretzels and flat bread).
Time to let the cat out of the bag, I LOVE Breakfast! Last week when we were out and about, Slim Jim asked if we wanted to go to the Prepared Pantry before we went home. I eagerly agreed. I was in baking heaven, but I tried to limit my wish list to the near basics. I came out of there with some bright pink gel food coloring, clearjel (which is a serious cornstarch for making homemade syrups), strawberry baking chips and heart pancake molds.
Boston lately seems to have problems with dairy so I decided to make our favorite pancake recipe into a dairy free recipe. In my opinion it was not quite as amazing as usual but all the pancakes got devoured so I guess we will give it a 1.85 thumbs up (not quite 2). Slim Jim said that if I wouldn't have told him it was dairy free he wouldn't have known.


Here is my favorite recipe regular Buttermilk Pancakes that I got from Our Best Bites, that they got from Allrecipes.com if you don't need dairy free this is a really good one.

Dairy Free Taste like Almost like Buttermilk Pancakes
by Shaffer Sisters
3 c. all-purpose flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
3 1/2 c. vanilla soy milk
3 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs, separated
1/3 c. canola oil
Combine dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt), add vanilla soy milk, vanilla and egg yokes. Mix until combined. Heat skillet to medium-high. Take a ladle and pour batter on skillet. Flip pancake when top is mostly covered in bubbles. Cook till brown on both sides.

The only thing that this recipe for me was missing was the butter flavor so in the future I would probably add in 1 1/2 tsp of McCormick butter flavoring (brand is very important in this case, cheaper versions are not valid substitutes. Don't curse me when you look at the price difference, just either skip out on the butter flavoring or pay the extra to get the good stuff).

Strawberry variation
I put a few strawberry chips (really it is pureed strawberry bits) on the top of pancake immediately after I poured my batter. I had tried mixing the bits into the dough it didn't combine evenly, and sunk to the bottom. 

Heart Shaped Pancakes
A little more cooked than this because you don't want your batter to run.
For this I used the pancake molds linked above. I only used half a ladle amount of batter (half the size of my other ones). I found that I had the best success when I waited until it was starting to cook around the edges and then took a butter knife to separate it from the mold. When I got it out of the mold I then flipped it on my skillet.
Crafty Confessions
Keeping It Simple Sumo's Sweet Stuff The Girl Creative Sew Chatty

3 comments:

  1. That's a cute mold. I like the high handle cause I've always wondered how you lift it out. The knife tips sounds smart!
    I make a lot of non dairy things around here and one tip I'd add to your recipe is adding a teaspoon or less of lemon juice to some of the soy milk and letting it thicken for a few minutes like buttermilk. Then when you add everything together the "buttermilk" will help react with the baking soda and the pancakes will be fluffier - like the originals probably were. There shouldn't be any taste difference. Just texture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! This looks delicious. I would love for you to come over to my blog hop and share this and other posts there! BTW, I am also your newest follower and hope you will return the favor.
    http://countrifiedhicks.blogspot.com/2013/02/mondays-with-countrified-hicks-blog-hop.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you for this! My husband loves to make pancakes I can't eat because of the dairy.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad