Post Top Ad

Love You Little Bird with Simple Skirt made from Fat Quarter

This week Al is getting ready to move half way across the country (Idaho to Chicago) and stop being my neighbor :(. PS we have been neighbors for 3 of the 3.5 years that Power Shoes and Al have been married, our children are practically like siblings.
We have been busy packing, cleaning and all that not so fun stuff. It has been really strange for both of us to be busy, but not with projects. Jo came this weekend to help with the packing.
This week I knew I wanted to do something for both of the kiddos for Valentine's Day over at Project Run and Play but I knew it couldn't take too much time. I put Al's Silhouette to use for one last project before it got boxed up, T-Shirt Vinyl project.
I decided to use a bird for the shirt because Boston's nickname has always been little bird.

I was so pleased with how the flocked vinyl looked on the shirts (yes, store bought) that I decided to whip out a quick skirt to match. The fabric for the skirt is Riley Blake Promenade Damask in Purple, that I purchased last spring as part of a fat quarter bundle from my local craft store.
This skirt was so simple and allowed me to use almost every inch of the little Fat Quarter. Do you want to make one?
I cut the fat quarter into 2-18 by 10 strips. (If the pattern would have been different I might have made it at 10.5" in height, but in order to make the pattern match up on the sides I had to loose that 1/2" inch.) I serged around all the sides (but if you don't have a serger you could use another seam finish option, like a zig zag stitch, pinking, or bias). With the right sides together I sewed up the edge of the 10" side and pressed the seam open. I put a 1/2" hem on the bottom of the skirt. I then gathered the top of the skirt, with a long running stitch.
I then measured the little birds waist (18") and subtracted 2" (16") and cut 1" colored elastic. Then using a 1/2" inch seam I closed the elastic. Then I sewed the edges of the elastic down.
Then I matched the side seam of the skirt with the elastic. I pinned my elastic to my skirt at the half and quarter marks over lapping the fabric with the elastic by 1/2". Then I used a long stitch and increasing the upper tension at the 1/4" and 3/8" mark I sewed around my elastic.
Boom the easiest skirt I have ever made!


The is one of the first skirts of the spring collection I look forward to showing you more.  And check back here tomorrow to see what I made for the little bird's brother.
Keeping It Simple Sumo's Sweet Stuff The Girl Creative Sew Chatty

15 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm so going to need to get a silhouette machine. That's super sad that she's moving too, but at least now you have a new place to visit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure which I love more, the shirt or the skirt! So cute! Love a quick project! I am also sad Al is moving :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much cuteness in those pictures!!! Lovely job...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute outfit! The bird print and the beautiful fabric is just perfect together. And what a cute model :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering if someone would do a love bird theme. This outfit and the little one wearing it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should say are too cute at the end of the 2nd sentence:)

      Delete
  6. that little birdie is so stinkin cute, great interpretation of the theme!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stencil is so adorable. I love the shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is a darling!

    Please come and peek at my PINK.
    Your comment is always a joy to read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw...a darling little model all dolled up in pink! HPS to you and thanks for sharing! Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is so cute!!! Love the fabric you used!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I never thought of using a fat quarter for a little skirt! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is that design in the silhouette store?

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad