Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Striped Peplum & Poka Dot Jeggings {Free: 2T jegging pattern}

*EDIT: Six months later these are fitting a little better. I would say the pattern is more like a 2T pattern.
 

When Project Run and Play announced the themes, Week 2 for me was a must sew week. I knew I wanted to make a peplum top with large pieced stripes but I was not sure what to put on bottom that wouldn't read too loud. A few weeks ago, I was at Joann's looking through the remnant fabric and found some jegging material, ding ding! We have a winner!
I had it!  Hand painted random pok-a-dot jeggings!
Boston, what do you think of that idea?
I think she is daydreaming about playing outside in summer weather
Or maybe that is just me!

Striped Peplum

From a Navy T-Shirt, I cut:
(4) 12"x 4"
(2) 24"x3.5" (I used the bottom hem of the shirt. If you don't have this, cut it longer, taking in account for seam allowances and hem)

From a White T-Shirt, I cut:
(4) 12"x4"
Gray Flat-Fold Elastic
(2) 10 inch
(1) 9 inch

1. I pieced together the shirt alternating the 12x4 strips of the navy and white. I serged them so that they would continue to stretch.   The same could be done with a double needle/zig zag stitch if you don't have a serger. I always try to use my serger, because last year I convinced Slim Jim that it was necessary. So I feel guilty not using it, you understand right? 2. Then I gathered the 24x3.5" strip and adjusted the gather until I thought it gave me the look that I wanted (probably ended up using 19-20 inches). And then I serged it on (again double needle or zig-zag stitch could do the trick).
3. Next, I cut out my neckhole and 4. serged the shoulder seams together.
5. I sewed my 9" strip of flat fold elastic together and finger pressed the seam open. Then I pinned it to the neckline by finding half and quarter marks, folding the elastic around the unfinished edge. I attached it by using a double needle.
I knew the arm holes needed to have 5" height on each side (by measuring her arm hole on another shirt) and that I wanted to finish them before I finished my side seams. I found the middle point of a 10 inch strip of elastic and pinned it to the shoulder seam folding the elastic over the edge. I then pinned the ends of the elastic at 5 1/4'" from the shoulder seam and then pinned toward the shoulder seam. I used a double needle maintaining its ability to stretch.
6. I took a 5/8" seam from the bottom to the top (where the sleeve starts). Instead of easing the seam out I turned 90 degrees and sewed off the fabric to give it a defined sleeve.



Jeggings

Get Pattern Pieces 
Using my self drafted pattern, (which you can see in the line above) I cut my stretch denim out. Then I applied a freezer paper stencil with a random poka-dot-pattern to my cut fabric pieces. Using a piece of foam, I applied arcilic paint mixed with a fabric paint medium (but if you were super cool and had fabric paint you could just use that).

Then I bathed the kids while I waited for it to dry. Once it was dry, I heat set the dots on.

Next I serged my front tops together and my front backs together (5/8" seam). Then I put the Front and Back together starting with the crotch seam (5/8"). Then using a double needle I put a 1/2" hem in the bottom of the pants.
Next I serged the outside seams. I cut a 18 inch piece of 1" wide elastic, I then did a 3/8" seam to connect the two ends together and then finger pressed it open. Then I attached the elastic directly to the top of the leggings with my serger (though again you wouldn't need a serger to do this it could be done with a sewing machine). One finishing detail I did that I liked that you wouldn't have to do is to sew down your outside side seam using a double needle. I did this so that they would have more of the appearance of a store bought jeans.
 Then I rolled the elastic and using my sewing machine with a double needle I sewed the elastic down. And they were all done! Whoot Whoot!

I think that when she starts walking it is going to be even more adorable. I can see her playing in this outfit in the upcoming spring.
Hopefully we will be ditching the chair soon as a photo prop lately
she has been more consecrated on teeth then taking steps  
How about a sibling outtake picture to finish things off!

4 comments:

  1. Very cute! Love the jeggings and the toothy grin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great idea. I didn't even consider making the polka dots. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Striped peplum top with polka dot jeggings...so so CUTE!!!!
    liZ

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...