Thursday, February 21, 2013

Creating Sarah: Inspiration Contributor

Hello, friends! I am so excited to be here today.

I am coming today from a little blog called Creating Sarah.  I spend my time there trying to create and discover the me I always wanted to be as I am inspired and uplifted by people around me.  I love to create, especially when I am creating things for my family and home.  I get so excited (almost crazy--like crazy crazy--excited) when faced with the prospect of making new friends.  I'd love to have you stop by and visit, be inspired, and inspire me.  I'll try my best to not be creepy and scare you away.  =)

But first, Jo asked if I would share a little bit of me with you.

I used to be a hiker. Well, actually, I still am a hiker, I just haven't gone hiking in a few years.  Anyway, it was nothing serious, I just enjoy walking in the mountains.  In particular, I love the foothills behind my mom's house where my mom and I used to hike often.

Generally, we had a trail that we would stick to and we didn't vary much from it.  Our main objective was to get some exercise and, more importantly, spend some time together.  My mom is my best friend and this time together was filled with joy.  We talked about everything and I learned a lot about myself: Who I am, who I want to be, and how to do it.

Occasionally, we liked to veer off course a little bit and explore some of the other trails around the hills.  On one such occasion, we found ourselves at the base of a very steep hill.  As we made our way up, it wasn't long before we had to stop and rest.  This hill was stinkin' hard!  I mean, it was so steep that there were times it felt more like we were crawling than walking.  And, when we turned to see how far we had come, it was only a few feet.  It was going to take more work than we had initially expected.

Undaunted, we kept going, taking time to sit and rest when we needed to but always moving on as soon as we had caught our breath.  The top wasn't always in sight, but we knew it was there and the only way to get there was to keep moving.

As we made our final push for the top, I was exhausted.  Determined, but exhausted.  I felt like I was moving at a snail's pace and that I may just roll back down the hill instead of making those last few feet.  Quietly, my mom, who is a stronger hiker than me, reached out and took my hand in hers--not pulling or even really offering any extra support; just to walk with me. Slowly, she took each step by my side until we finally reached the top.  That quiet moment with my mom taught me a lot about life.

Life is hard sometimes.  There's no getting around it, it just is.  Sometimes those hills in life get so steep that you kind of wonder if you are moving forward at all and sometimes you are so close to the ground that you can't tell if you are actually moving up or just laying down.

I know.  My life has been filled with those steep hills and I have found myself sitting down many times to catch my breath and wonder if I'm really going to make it up to the top.

Heavenly Father knows too.  Not only did He send me on this hike, but He is right by my side walking with me, showing me the higher ground.  And, so many times, he has reached out and taken my hand in his, not to pull me but just to encourage me.  He is there to tell me that I am going uphill and that the hike is worth it.  I can do it and I will be stronger once I have.

He reaches out quietly and oftentimes through the people around me.  Sometimes my husband gives me a hug.  Sometimes my daughter tells me I'm beautiful (blootiful, but, that's close enough) or that she loves me and she is so happy I made her favorite meal for her.  Sometimes my baby laughs when I look at him.  Sometimes a friend calls me or e-mails me.  Sometimes a stranger sees me with my three kids and stops to tell me what a good job I am doing.

He knows each of us.  He loves us.  We are his children.  He wants us to reach the top and will find any way He can to encourage us and cheer us on.  Oh, how I love Him and how grateful I am that he sends me up these steep hills so that I can strengthen myself and come closer to Him.


P.S. I made this sign a while ago as a reminder to myself.  I shared my techniques on by blog here if you are interested in making one of your own. 

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful message. This was just the pick-me-up I needed this week. Thank you Sarah for sharing your testimony of the ups and downs of life and how if you fall down that you just have to get up and get back in the game.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...