Post Top Ad

"Master carest thou not, that we perish?"

There is a story in the Gospel of Mark, that I love!  It is the story of Jesus and his disciples on the Sea of Galilee.  He asked them to take him to the other side of the sea.  He must have been exhausted, he grabbed a pillow, and laid his head down to sleep.  As he was sleeping, a storm came up.  The wind started to blow, and the boat started taking on water.  The apostles were working frantically to bail the water.  They went to the back of the boat.  I am sure with the gale blowing, they yelled.   "Master carest thou not, that we perish?"  They were terrified.  They didn't want to die.  They had families at home.  They were afraid for there lives.  The Lord calmly stood and said, "Peace be still."  and the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.  Then he looked at his apostles and said, "Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?"  I am sure that, with their hearts pumping and their clothes dripping, they just looked at this master teacher, and wondered.  It says that they wonder out loud, "What manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him?"



                                                              Peace Be Still by Arnold Friberg

I know what manner of man he is!  He is the son of God.  He was the kind of man that could give his life for us.  He was the kind of man that would suffer, so that when we had pain, or sickness, sin or struggle, we could go to him, because he has already suffered it for us.  He would know how to succor us.  He will redeem us.  He is the healer.  He is the teacher.  He is my brother.

Why am I telling you all of this?  My Hubbin went to work on Thursday and found out that he didn't have to go back on Friday, or ever, at least not to that job.  People have asked me how I am doing.  I keep telling them I am excited.  Maybe it is because I am optimistic.  Maybe it is because, by grace I don't know what lies ahead.  But, I think it is because I know that the Savior is at the helm, steering our lives and calming the storms of our life.  
If our tempest is raging I say, like Eliza Snow, “I will go forward, I will smile at the rage of the tempest, and ride fearlessly and triumphantly across the boisterous ocean of circumstance … and the ‘testimony of Jesus’ will light up a lamp that will guide my vision through the portals of immortality.”

                          
With love,
Jo

Shared at:

3 comments:

  1. Jo, you are so brave! It took me months in the unknown of income for our family to finally accept that we changes wouldn't necessarily happen in our time, but in the Lord's time. Thanks for being such a great example!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll miss you here. So good to hear that you guys have a plan and I'm completely impressed that you are "excited" about all of this! I would very easily find myself asking, "Carest thou not that we perish?" Please let us know when/if you need help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    we are all doing good here. Thanks for your comment! Hubbin is heading out with #1 and #3 tomorrow, to get them in to school- and so he can start work. #2, #4, and #5 will stay with me. I am going to clean like crazy, and get this house ready for the move. I will probably drive to Moscow around the 27th, I figure that is probably when the house will be packed and ready. We are probably OK, as far as having help is concerned, but I really appreciate the offer.
    with love
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad