Friday, February 15, 2013

Waves of Summer {Signature Collection}

Going into this weeks challenge I thought I was going to be using some fabric that I had bought from my local fabric store and making Let's Go Fly a Kite Dress from Jesse with CINO. But as I looked at the fabric and thought about the mostly white material with one of the worlds messiest toddlers (today 4 outfits). I realized it just might have to wait until Boston is ready for that.
But I love so much more what I did...

Waves of Summer Reversible Tunic
Luckily the local fabric store ran a 6 for $10 fat quarter, so Nae and I took the chance to scout it out. I had no idea when I walked in the store what I would be making. After surveying the options, a beginning my selections over thousands of options I remembered the Wellen Tank Tutorial by luvinthemommyhood. I was excited about this project because it reminded me of the pieced rainbow pillowcase dresses that we made last March for Saint Patrick's Day. And just like that day, I had a blast putting together the mix of fabrics. 
The fabrics that I used for this top were:
Michael Miller Ta Dot Teal
Sweet Shoppe - Little Dot
Riley Blake Designs Small Chevron Tone on Tone in Yellow
Michael Miller Bella Butterfly Sweet Spots Green
And then the plaid on the shirt which was the base for the color scheme. I couldn't find a designer on the fabric, sorry.

Instead of cutting a wide neckline I decided to use a keyhole with a ribbon in the back. This allowed me to make it reversible. The other side not only gives us a two for one on shirt (remember said she was the world's messiest toddler), but also protects the back side of the quilted fabric.
One of my favorite parts about this was the topstitching. I love how it shows off the shape of the waves and the dynamic patterns of the shirt.





Floating on a Cloud Summer Skirt
I got this material from a nightgown that I picked up from the thrift store. I cut my fabric 36 wide and 10 inches long (for this I used one of the existing seams from the night gown). Then I just zig zagged up the other side. Then I gathered the top and attached it to a 16 inch wide piece of elastic that I had zig zagged together. Then over the Top of the waistband I placed piece of stretch lace over the top of the waistband. I love the simplicity of this skirt and I think it will serve as a light weight and soft dress for Boston all summer long

For Ryder's Shirts I used Simplicity 2907 and added 2 inches to the back pattern piece and collar and 2 inches to the length, because though Ryder is pretty skinny he has very broad shoulders and long torso. I love this pattern for making shirts for little boys, it is seriously easy!


Mellow Yellow Shirt
Ryder lately has been really into matching (getting the same drink so he can match....yesterday he told me that Minney Mouse and I have the same brown hair, kind of right buddy but not quite there). I thought it would be exciting for him to match his sister. When I went into Joann's I wanted to find something that would work for both genders. Yellow plaid printed bias seemed to be the perfect fit for this. The buttons were some that Nae and I found in the button bucket at my local craft store. I did extra top stitching on this shirt so that it would match his sisters tunic.

Cool Boy Shirt
 This material grabbed me and was much louder than I had anticipating buying but I knew it would be perfect with Ryder's blue eyes. Ryder had such a "cool kid" personality, where he naturally assumes everyone is his friend and likes him. This part of his personality has been a joy to all those the meet him. I wanted to illustrate that in this design so I extended the length of the sleeves and put a tab with a button so that he would be able to roll it and keep it rolled.
Update: Fabric for this shirt was found at Joann's. On the salvage it said it was a Joann's exclusive print, but I can't find it online (after I an hour I gave up the search)
I will try and get some pictures of the kids in the clothing today, we have been a little busy with packing our stuff up and Valentine's festivities to do a full blown photoshoot but let me tell you they look swimming in the clothing.
 504 Main YOUR BLOG NAME I Heart Nap Time

14 comments:

  1. I totally forgot about the Wellen tank! This is a great version and I love thy it's reversible. So important these days right? :)
    I also can't wait for you to make a go fly a kite dress. It's one of my cino favs and I just haven't gotten around to making one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shirts and tunic are so bright and cheerful and beautifully made. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What adorable fabric. That pattern is cute, I'm definitely going to look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute. I love the colors on the tank and the skirt is so sweet! I love how you did the cuffs on the blue shirt for Ryder too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun colorful collection! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these so much! The Wellen tank is on my to do list as well! I love all the pieces, but my favourite is the Cool Boy shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that blue/turquoise and red plaid you have for the last shirt. ADORABLE. My little boy has blue eyes too...if you dont mind me asking, where did you get that fabric? (thebaxterboy.bowties@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the colors in the last shirt. And of course the patchwork is incredible. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish we were sewing for summer :)......does dreaming of it count?!?!? How could those colors NOT remind you of sunnier days ahead??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh...what sweetness you made! I love how you made the shirt reversible...genius!
    Thanks so much for sharing at my Real Family Fun link party!
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute collection! So glad that you shared at last weekends link party @The Weekend re-Treat!

    Hope to see you link up again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! The colors are great and love that wave pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the blue shirt! Might just be the gorgeous fabric but it seems like the shape of the shirt is also way cooler than the patterns I have. Do you mind me asking what pattern you use?

    ReplyDelete
  14. How adorable! Thanks so much for sharing at Super Saturday Show & Tell... I'm SO glad you came to (link) party with me! http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...