Monday, March 25, 2013

Susanna Shap Inspired Woven and Flower Dress

It is that time again!  Wahoo.  It is so fun for my sisters and I to sew along with some pretty awesome designers of children's clothing.  We love to see what inspiration comes from week to week.  And, I think we all like the challenge of making something that our kids will wear and love, on a time crunch.
So, today I am going to lead you through my thoughts and design for week one, all the way to completion of a dress I really love for my little "Rogue".
Week 1:  Inspired by Art---Choose an artist, art movement, or artwork and create a children's look inspired by your choice.

I wondered if I should do light and shadow inspired by Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte (Un dimanche après-midi à l’Ile de la Grande Jatte), Georges Seurat, 1884-1886.
Or, maybe I should do Starry Night by VanGogh as a rough paint job, or possibly the textured fabric that we see now-a-days.  After painting it, I thought about using tucks and using the trees as the focal gathering point.
But as I was browsing through paintings on line, I came across this one.  I love Susanna Shap's style, I have tried to copy it a few times with little success.  I love those fat brush strokes, all of the texture, and the three dimensional look it gives the painting.  I love that she didn't have to paint shadows on those flowers, but that they are actual shadows.  I also love that every stroke is a continuation of the last, and the colors blend naturally on the canvas, as opposed to being pre-mixed on the pallet.
As I started to think about this, I figured it would translate really well to fabric.

I used two tones of Chiffon for the basket weave and a really soft polyester for the rest of the dress.  As far as notions, I used a hidden zipper, pearl beads, and silk hydrangeas.
I drafted my own pattern
And then I just started trying things.  I wasn't really sure how it was going to all work.
 1. Was too big.
2. Was super hard to work with, there were way to many biases  and I couldn't figure out what to do with it.  
3. I tried again and I feel like this one translated the painting perfectly, and it was a lot simpler to work with!
 After going crazy with this weaving, I wanted to see some actual results, so I decided to finish the dress.
 It is hard to see, but there is chiffon around the collar, sleeve, and hem.
Once I finished the weave design, I was finally able to pinned the weave on to the bottom of the dress, I got so excited!  It looked like I pictured, which is always a good sign!
 Here is the front and back of dress

Up-close in front & Up-close of basket weave, with hydrangeas and pearl centers.  I tried to put the flowers on in clusters of 3 and 5.  I love the trellis look it gives to the whole thing!

So, now the dress is done, and its time for the photo shoot!  I have such a cute little stinker!  Love that little Rogue.  

 

There just happened to be this awesome decor at the mall today, and I thought it was perfect!



Look a frog, maybe he will turn in to a prince!  Kiss him quick!
So I love this dress, and I love fact that it moves so well on her.  I love the translation from painting to clothing, and I love that I don't have to hand stitch on any flowers for a while, a long while, like hopefully not until I sew her wedding dress

Where we are linking to:
Photobucket Photobucket  photo blogbutton_zpsb1fa0f6d.jpg

38 comments:

  1. What a labor of love! It turned out so beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! that's all I can say!Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful translation of the painting!
    You did a great job (and she can totally wear that all the time)!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! What a beautiful painting, it was fun to see it turned into a dress! Turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful interpretation! You 'nailed it'! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it must have been fun figuring out how to construct the bottom part of the dress ~ talk about expressing your creativity !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I *love* it! And I really enjoyed seeing peeks into your creative process. Great job!
    Ledys
    Www.fromthesunnyside.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clever! I really like how you made the dress!!! Great job!

    -Ash P
    http://distractedashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nailed it!! You absolutely re-created your artwork in such a creative and lovely way!! I just love the dress!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! What a lot of work you went through to create that beautiful dress. I applaud you on not giving up.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a perfect Easter/spring dress!! Absolutely beautiful and the the dress is definitely a work of art!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! And must have taken a moment to make.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How absolutely adorable....very close to the art work rendition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhhhh, the finished product!! Loved seeing sneak peeks on instagram......but, wow... You NAILED your inspiration. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That beautiful dress is perfect for Easter! Seems lots of work and thinking went into this dress, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That's incredible! I would never have the patience to create something this beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely! I came over from the Train To Crazy -- the blue and brown combination really stood out. Nice execution of a fairly complex idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This really turned out fantastic! Great job Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a pretty little girl!
    Her dress is lovely!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an amazing dress! It matches the artwork theme so incredibly well. Very impressive!
    Thanks so much for sharing at my Real Family Fun link party.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a darling dress! And I'm thinking it's one of those that is even more adorable in real life than in photos. It is super sweet!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm sharing this as one of my favorites on my blog today http://dudeyourockmysocks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great inspiration! She looks absolutely adorable! Nice job!

    I'd love for you to check out our Pattern Party! We invite those with free patterns or templates to share. We are also having a giveaway this week!
    http://getyourcraptogether.blogspot.com/search/label/Pattern%20Party

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, what unique idea! I love brown and teal together!

    Thanks for linking up. I'll have the new party up later tonight!

    Blessings,
    Mrs. Sarah Coller

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is amazing! It's a perfect translation of your inspiration piece, and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow.. that is soooo beautiful. Thanks for posting on Cheerios & Lattes Linky Party.
    Debbie from One Day at a Time
    http://lovinlife1dayatatime.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. visiting from nifty thrifty things. That just makes the dress look so amazing. What a talent

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never seen anything quite like this! Looks like you invented a new thang!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. We picked you as a feature on the All Things Pretty link that goes live tomorrow..stop by and check it out....http://myfashionforwardblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! That is amazing! Great job. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Congratulations! This post is featured over at Diana Rambles today and has been pinned in the Featured at Diana Rambles board at Pinterest. Please grab a featured button off my sidebar or via the link under the features. Thanks for sharing this awesome idea! This is seriously one of my favorite that has ever been linked!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. How do you find the time? This is just mind blowing. If you had stopped at blue satin dress it would still have been perfect. Just so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  33. that is stunning!
    i cannot even imagine the amount of time and love spent on this dress.
    your baby is so lucky!
    (and great job!)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...