Post Top Ad

Corned Beef and Cabbage

 When I first moved to Boise Idaho with my family, Christen was assigned by our church to see how we were doing. It is a good thing she was, or I am not sure we would have ever met.  Though, I am so grateful we did!   After her first visit, I knew we would be friends forever!  That very night we got together with our families and played the farming game and celebrated Cinco de Mayo.   And, the rest is history!  I hope you all love my dear Christen, as much as I do!
with love,
Jo
 Hello!

I am Christen and I love to cook and I love traditions.  A St. Patrick’s Day tradition I have carried on from my youth happens to involve cooking!  Nothing says St. Patty’s day to me more than Corned Beef and Cabbage (it even has green in it ;).


This can be one of the easiest meals you prepare all year.  Since the beef brisket is already seasoned there is no need to add more seasoning.  (Trivia Tidbit: Corned beef is pink because of the special salt used in the brine it is cured in.  The salt is dyed pink so it won’t be mistaken for table salt.)

Ingredients:
3-5 lb Corned beef brisket
4 Russet Potatoes, cut in large slices
½ lb Carrots, peeled and cut in large slices or use baby carrots
1 head Cabbage
Water


The amounts vary depending on the crowd you’re serving.  This is what I use for my family of five and we will have leftover vegetables.  Just remember that the cabbage cooks down a lot.

Put the corned beef in a slow cooker and cover with water, or close to covering (no one’s picky here).  Use the season packet if it comes with your corned beef.  Add the potatoes and carrots and let it cook on low for 4-5 hours.  Chop the cabbage into chunks and put it in about half an hour before you’re ready to eat. 

When it’s all done cut the corned beef against the grain in ½ inch or so slices.  Dish up and enjoy!  If the pictures don’t make your mouth water, the smell of it cooking will.  I hope your St. Patrick’s day is full of yummy Irish food and no pinches!



1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite meal and for some reason I only make it on St. Patrick's Day! Love how you use a slow cooker. I was thinking of trying it in the slow cooker this year but was not sure of how long to cook it for...this post same just in time! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad