Post Top Ad

Green Rainbow Shamrock Cake


Okay so I have to apologize, this is an incredibly simple post, but what do you make in honor of St. Patrick's Day that is fitting? I've tried a few different things, but nothing quite worked like I wanted. Not only that, but this weekend our basement flooded and we are down two bedrooms. Let me tell you it is a fun adventure. I am putting my brave face on and hoping this is fixed before it really rains.

So first I took a box rainbow cake mixture (St. Patrick's Day --> Leprechaun --> Rainbows) and followed the instructions. Then I added food coloring until it was the right color. I put it in a square pan and baked it until it was done. After I pulled it out and let it cool, I popped it out of the pan and onto a paper plate.


This is where it gets fun! I got out some stiff paper and cut a heart shape out with the bottom of it missing. I took this shape and used it as a pattern to cut 2 more. Finally I used the scrap to make the stem. After that I took pins to anchor the papers down to the shape I wanted.

I used a fillet knife to trim the excess shape away (be sure not to cut frozen butter with one of these knives- you might loose a finger- anyone care to elaborate on this comment?). When that was done I used a little bit of store bought cream cheese frosting and put it in the microwave. This made it more glaze like and I added some more food coloring to make it green.

And wha-la the final result is simple St. Patrick's Day madness. If you don't have a ton of time or energy, this is a really great way to embrace the holidays.

Here's some random background to St. Patrick's Day. I learned as I did some reading about it in my handy-dandy holiday book. Did you know St. Patrick helped transform Ireland from a pagan country to a christian country? He baptized more than 120,000 people and founded over 300 churches (isn't that incredible). The shamrock is a symbol of this day because it is believed that he used it to teach about the trinity. Traditions like green and pinching is American.

Have a great St. Patrick's Day! I am hoping to spend that day in Chicago so I can see the river dyed green. What will you be doing?

I linked this up at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad