Post Top Ad

Lessons Learned from the Heart of Our Father

This weekend I had the opportunity to go HOME. There is nothing like the crisp air, sagebrush every where and the beautiful tall mountains to make me feel at peace. But most of all it is the quiet, tender ways of the man that Al, Jo and I call Dad that makes me feel at rest.
We haven't  had much of an opportunity to talk about our Dad on the blog so today I am going to share a little bit about the man that helped shape us to the women we have become.
I love talking to my Dad. His knowledge about fishing, nature and craftsmanship are extensive. I love the discussions we have: how to tie a fly, identifying tracks in the snow, and the best way to tear apart pallets. He is one of the first and most trusted sources that I know. His thirst for knowledge on a variety of topics always keeps me on my toes.
His strong hands are skilled and his mind is sharp. Growing up, if their was a piece of furniture that we needed that we couldn't afford, he would find a way to make it. Jo, Al and I for most of our years at home all shared a bedroom that had one floor to ceiling book case that Dad made. Our bed was a queen size bunk bed which Dad made for us Christmas one year. He made it out of wood that he had found in the dumpster at a job site. He and Mom embodied the attitude of "making due", sometimes achieved by doing without but most often achieved by the "making" part.
As we have grown, I think we have tried to remember the things that our Dad has taught us through his quite example. As I watched Ryder follow Dad, it is fun to see him have the same respect and admiration that I feel for the man that has given me so much.
As we prepare for next month to talk about parenting, I am reminded of the things we were taught as kids and have noticed how much those teaching and activities have helped all of us. Things that were common place in our home were: Saturday morning doing chores as a family, multiple mini-lessons about how to fix a dresser drawer (glue it and screw it, right girls?), and humor and rough housing.
My favorite thing was when he would calmly say, "Hey do you want to go on a drive?" There was no pressure if his invitation was declined, though there were only a handful of occasions that any of us ever turned the opportunity down. I never knew where we were going or when I would be back. I knew that we would go slow and time was never an object. It was always a treat. Now that I am older, I realize that those drives gave him an chance to touch base with us while removing distractions and keeping it very comfortable.
Our hope for next month is that we might be able to remember the positive traditions of yesterday and increase our understanding for tomorrows challenges.
Here are our themes for the month of April, "It takes a Village to Raise a Child" aka link up your parenting ideas.
April 1-7: Old Dog Can Play New Tricks (Jokes, Pranks, April fools day traditions, and Fun)
NEW, April 7-30: Special Circumstances (Blended families, Mental and Physical challenges, Behavior Issues, or anything else that doesn't fit with the other topics but deals with parenting)
April 8-14: Singing Out of the Rain (Rainy Day Activities)
April 15-21: Busy as a Bee (Activities to keep your kids busy)
April 22-28: Raising Kids is a Walk in the Park (Outdoor Activities)
April 29-May 4: Good Ideas for Those Who Wait (Quiet Activities, Travel Games, or activities that will keep your kids entertained while you are found waiting)

We look forward to hearing from you and listening to your ideas. If you would like to guest post, please e-mail us at shaffer.sisters@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad