Post Top Ad

Mom's Cornbread: Inspiration Contributor & Comfort Food Inspiration Party

We are so excited to welcome Andrea from Pennies and Pancakes here today. We love reading her delicious recipes and enjoy her money saving tips. If you haven't been over to Pennies and Pancakes you should (not that we are trying to boss you around) and if you like what you see, you should consider following.

When we asked her to share her favorite comfort food recipe with us, she happily agreed and decided on her Homemade Cornbread. What a great way to start our first Link Up party on the right foot!  YUMMY this first picture is making my mouth water.


$0.04 per serving          68% savings          save $17.52 yearly



Hi! 

I'm Andrea, from Pennies & Pancakes, where I share tried-and-true recipes and break down cost comparisons with the store-bought versions. I've known the Shaffer Sisters for years, (we grew up together in Po-dunk-ton-hill-ville, Idaho) and I was so excited when they asked me to contribute... 'cause seriously... I love me some good food. And, of course, I love the Sisters. 

One of my favorite comfort foods is cornbread... slathered in butter... and drizzled in honey. (Okay, okay, so I pretty much kill the health out of it with the butter and honey, but it's SO worth it!) Plus... $0.04 per serving? Can't beat that price!

My mother used to make this cornbread in a pie plate, and divvy out large slices to us, which we hurriedly devoured to make sure we'd get a second piece. There were 9 people in my family, so it was imperative that we eat the cornbread FAST to ensure another slice of deliciousness came our way. 

You snooze, you lose.

Since I've been married, I've tried a few other cornbread recipes to see if any of them could improve upon the cornbread I grew up eating:

1.  Paula Dean's recipe (no sugar involved... I like my cornbread on the sweet side).
2.  The recipe on the back of the Aunt Jemima cornmeal package (too coarse for me).
3.  The most popular recipe on the website Allrecipes.com (ehhh).
4.  The cornbread at Marie Callendar's (pretty yummy... but it's overly sweet, and not reminiscent of real cornbread).

My mom's recipe is the clear winner according to me, my husband, and the two daughters I have that can actually voice their opinion. My youngest daughter just turned 1, and she expresses her approval by eating copious amounts of the stuff. 

It has the perfect amount of sweetness in a moist, coarsely textured, nearly-cake-like consistency, that will be absolute perfection to your palate. 

We like it with butter and honey, or dipped in hearty soups and stews, and of course, served alongside the Best Crockpot Chili.

My mother's recipe originated from the back of a container of Alber's cornmeal. I hope you enjoy this family favorite that has been (and will continue to be) passed from mother to daughter. 

Mom's Cornbread

*Makes 16 servings (2 in. squares)

Note: In the recipe, I've written to bake the cornbread in an 8x8 baking dish because that's what I use. But a 9x9 baking dish, or 9" pie plate would work as well. If you use either of those instead, it should finish cooking a little sooner.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 T. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1/3 cup oil
1  beaten egg
1 cup milk

DIRECTIONS
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. 

In a medium bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add the oil,  beaten egg, and milk. Mix together using a hand-mixer or whisk, until smooth and no lumps remain. 

Pour mixture into a greased 8x8 baking dish. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until done. Serve immediately with butter and honey. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.


~ Savings ~


Cost Breakdown:
5 lb. cornmeal - $2.44 = 15.75 C = $0.155/C = $0.155
1 dozen eggs - $1.79 = $0.15/egg = $0.15
25 lb. all-purpose flour - $6.78 = 94.5 C = $0.071/C = $0.071
12 oz. baking powder - $1.69 = 70.875 tsp = $0.024/tsp = $0.072
10 lb. sugar - $5.58 = 378 T = $0.015/T = $0.060
26 oz. salt - $0.44 = 122.75 tsp = $0.003/tsp = $0.003
1 gallon milk - $2.99 = 16 cups = $0.187/C = $0.187
Total Recipe Cost = $0.70
Cost per Serving = $0.04

The Contender:
Krusteaz Cornbread (15 oz.) Mix -  $1.82  
PLUS 1 egg - $0.15
PLUS 1 cup milk $0.187
Total = $2.16
Cost per Serving = $0.13

Savings: 68%

"Over a year" scenario:
Make Mom's Cornbread 12 times - $8.40
Make Krusteaz Cornbread (15 oz.) Mix - $25.92

Money Saved: $17.52


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad