Post Top Ad

Shel Silverstein Inspired Toddler Tee

This is the first official PR&P Project that I have done something for Heber. Although, you might recognize him from the fall 2012 season when he modeled for his cousin when she was sick. I think the Underwater Land themed top is more fitting, don't you?


So as I'm sure it did with most of you, my mind went in about a million directions when they announced the artistic inspired theme for the first week of this season's Project Run and Play. My first thought was overwhelmed. I mean art is incredible, but what is appropriate for children's clothing and also something I love? I was stumped. Originally I thought maybe I would run with the architecture side of art since that's my favorite. I was thinking of doing a remix of the Eiffel tower into a dress for Ty, but the difficulty, potential cost, and a teething, sick baby vetoed that idea. Hence we went easy this time around.


Next to architecture, my next favorite kind of art is black and white illustrations, more specifically Shel Silverstein. After looking at all of his illustrations I found a picture he did for the Underwater Land album. It was perfect for Heber's personality and nautical theme is pretty big right now.

I used my fabric budget for the other weeks of PR&P so I had to get creative this time around. I ended up going to Goodwill and finding a men's t-shirt that I decided to refashion into a shirt for Heber. I hand drafted some pattern pieces and cut away. The binding around the original neck of the shirt was seam ripped off re-sized to fit the neck line. Once I had put it all together besides the side seams, I got started on the image.


I took the image I found and opened it in Silhouette. I used the trace feature to get the general outline. I cleaned it up and made the image and the line the same color. After doing this you can make the line thickness as much as you desire to make your image bolder. Finally you can use the trace feature again over what you worked on to get a single cut line. And then your image is ready to go.


I cut it on freezer paper so that I could iron it onto the shirt I made. The plan was to use spray paint to get the image on. Unfortunately because some of the freezer paper pieces were so small, they wouldn't stick to the fabric when I tried to iron them on. I ended up still using the freezer paper that I had applied, but just used a sharpie marker to sketch out the little stuff instead of spray paint. Finally, I pulled off the freezer paper, heat set the image, and sewed the side seams from under the arm pit to the bottom of the shirt.


I'm really excited about this tee. Heber looks so handsome and he finally has a shirt that is easy to get over his big head and fit his long body. If you haven't seen it yet you should check out the incredible dress my sister Jo made this week.




Where we are linking up:
Photobucket Photobucket

19 comments:

  1. Yea for Shel Silverstein! I was excited to see you using him for inspiration while perusing instagram pics! This looks COMPLETELY appropriate for Heber.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. architecture is also my favourite type of art. And I think the Eiffel tower would have been great, but I like your finished design too. I really like practical pieces over too fancy/formal ones =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the stencil on the shirt! Love the practicality of it too! You have a very handsome little boy there! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Al! I can't believe how big Heber is getting! He's such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete

  5. Al,
    I love this! I for-see some t-shirt refashions in your future, when you get back to Idaho. I think we should do our Modbe shirts with stencils, and all of our grease stained shirts, and maybe remake some boys t-s for school next year. Will you come visit me P-L-E-A-S-E!
    I miss you! When will you be back?
    love yah!
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the octopus! SO cute. Give me a cute applique and I am smitten. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I love Shel Silverstein.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great boy look! I love the idea of something inspired by architecture too. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so stinking cute...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute!
    I adore Shell Silverstein and love your interpretation.
    Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job!! She'll Silverstein is one of our favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a very talented family!! What a beautiful little Tshirt!! I love it!!

    bugandsquish.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable. I love Shel Silverstein! Super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so in love with Shel Silverstein as a kid. This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute shirt! It sounds like you had to do a bit of thinking and figuring it out as you went...those are my favorite kinds of projects. The dress your sister made looks amazing.
    Thanks so much for sharing at my Real Family Fun link party.
    Hope to see you again next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! I love that you picked an illustration...and the signature on the back is so great. (I really really love that part.) This shirt is just cool.
    liZ

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sharing this as one of my favorites on my blog today http://dudeyourockmysocks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I love Shel Silverstein's simple artwork. I love the way freezer paper stenciled projects come out, but after trying a couple myself, I do not have the patience for cutting them out!

    Cheers!
    Buttons
    The Hot Toddies of Washington

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad