Thursday, March 7, 2013

Slow Cooker Beef Stew: Inspiration Contributor {Shauna from The Best Blog Recipes}

I found Shauna's blog from a link in party after spending a while scanning her website. I was in food heaven. At the time we were in the middle of moving and the last thing I had wanted to do was cook/make a mess of the kitchen. As I read her recipes, I felt like I could taste them and made me look forward to the day where I could cook without half my pots/supplies in storage. I was so tickled when she agreed to join us her for comfort food week. Without further ado I will tell you her blog is amazing and you should check it out!

Hi, my name is Shauna and I’m visiting here today from The Best Blog Recipes. I am so excited to be Guest Posting at The Shaffer Sisters during their comfort food week! What a perfect fit since I LOVE comfort food.
So when I heard it was comfort food week I immediately thought of making a super easy & super yummy Slow Cooker Beef Stew. Some days I just need something easy and delicious to feed my family that doesn’t take a lot of time to prepare. Yesterday was one of those days! My brother-in-law left for a two year church mission and we were going to be busy all day with family. I knew we’d be hungry when we got home from the airport sometime around 7pm and I was sure I wouldn’t feel like making dinner that late. When we finally came home last night the whole house smelled delicious and I was so happy that I was guest posting and had made this yummy recipe to share with you! I ended up having dinner on the table within 15 minutes of walking in the house!
It worked out perfect!

Slow Cooker Beef Stew Ingredients
½ of a large piece of brisket (we buy ours from Costco so it’s usually pretty big and we save ½ for another meal)
4 large red potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
5 large carrots, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 packet of lipton onion soup mix
1 can of beef consume
3/4 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 can of green beans
1 (15 oz) can of Italian stewed tomatoes (basil & oregano)
1 tablespoon flour
½ tablespoon corn starch
½ cup of water

Directions
Spray the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray or use a slow cooker liner to make clean up easier. 
Pour your Italian stewed tomatoes liquid into the slow cooker and put the actual pieces of tomato on a cutting board.  Cut into smaller bite sized pieces and then put into the slow cooker.  Add the beef consume, lipton onion soup mix, minced garlic, salt, and ground black pepper.  Mix well with a whisk. 
Add your brisket to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 4 hours. 
At the 4 hour point add your carrots and potatoes.  I just scattered them on the sides of the brisket.  Continue to cook on low for another 3-4 hours or until the meat, potatoes & carrots easily separate with a fork. 
When your meat, potatoes & carrots are done you’re ready to put your green beans into a medium sauce pan and boil for 5 minutes.  You’ll want to drain off the liquid when they are done cooking and chop the green beans in half. 
Remove the meat from the slow cooker and allow to rest on a plate for 5 minutes before removing any excess fat and cutting into bite sized chunks. 
Use a measuring cup to scoop as much liquid as you can from the slow cooker and put it into a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
In a separate bowl whisk together your flour, cornstarch & water until no lumps remain.  Add the liquid slowly to your saucepan while whisking to prevent gravy lumps.  Bring the gravy to a boil to allow the sauce to thicken.  Once it has thickened add it back to your slow cooker along with the green beans & meat. 

Stir everything together and serve immediately with a loaf of French Bread that is buttered and cut into thick slices! 



Shauna’s Tip
I used brisket in this recipe today because it is a leaner cut of meat.  You could easily substitute a chuck roast in place of the brisket if you wanted.  The only thing I would do different with the chuck roast would be to skim off the fat when cooking the gravy.   Brisket is a leaner cut of meat and I didn’t have any fat to skim off which was really nice! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Shaffer Sisters for having me as your Guest Poster today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmm. This looks so delicious! Once I get back home to my cock pots in a few months, I am going to have to try this. Thank you so much for coming to our blog and inspiring us to prepare a well rounded and enjoyable for our families.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...