Post Top Ad

The Sisters' Favorite Comfort Foods

Before we share our favorite comfort food recipes with you, we just wanted to remind you about our comfort food linky party. Please, share your favorite comfort food recipes, we don't care if you blogged about it yesterday or a few years ago! 

Al - Flap Jack Perfection
Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes- An Anytime Favorite from Al

Once upon a time I used to be satisfied by the Bisquick buttermilk pancake mix that you just add water too, but then about a year after I got married, Scary insisted that we try a from scratch pancake.  It only seemed fair to ditch the mix since we already made our waffles from scratch. When I got a wheat grinder for Christmas I ended up coming up with this recipe for wheat buttermilk pancakes. It took a while to figure out the perfect amount of sweetness, something that flipped easily, and that lasted to the end of the batter. This is the perfect recipe. You can switch it and use all white flour, all wheat flour, or 50/50. When I am less concerned about healthy, I go with 50/50. Well, here it is:

3 C wheat flour
6 T sugar
1 T baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
3 C buttermilk
2 tsp. vanilla
2 T oil
4 eggs, separated
Mix together dry ingredients. Add buttermilk, vanilla, oil and egg yolks until it is smooth. Turn on skillet or griddle. Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold egg whites into the batter. Then make your pancakes. Flip them when they start to bubble through the other side. When they are done, top them with butter, whipped cream and sliced strawberries. Finally enjoy! Yield: 8-10 large pancakes.
*Note:  If you don't have any buttermilk, and you have milk and lemon juice or vinegar you can still make these pancakes; it is 1 T of  lemon juice or vinegar for just under 1 C of milk to make 1 C of buttermilk- keep in mind you need 3 cups. Let this mixture sit for 5 minutes and then it's ready to go.

One last funny tangent. About a week after we moved to Chicago, I was really missing Idaho, my sisters, and sunlight (remember I live in a basement without any windows) bad enough that I couldn't go without buttermilk pancakes as well. We had to go to four different grocery stores before we found any buttermilk. That is how much I love these pancakes. This is definitely my #1 favorite, comfort food!

Nae - Soup and Bread Lunch
In my family one thing that always brought me comfort was the memory of our Christmas Eve party in which we always had soup and bread bowls.  It now has become my favorite comfort food, not only because it is so good and it warms me up every time but it brings back great memories.  

Broccoli and Cheese Soup
5 Cups Water
2 tsp Chicken Bouillon
2 Cups Carrots, chopped
2 Cups Broccoli, chopped
1/2 Onion, chopped
3 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp Flour
1 Can of Evaporated Milk
1/2 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Pepper
1 1/2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Instructions:
Bring water to a boil, add bouillon and stir until dissolved.  Add the vegetables and cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender.  Melt the butter in medium saucepan on medium to high heat, stir in flour until smooth.  Slowly add evaporated milk, stirring constantly until smooth and thick.  Add spices, mix in cheese.  Remove from heat and stir until cheese is melted. Combine with vegetables and water, and stir until smooth!!
Recipe by Jana Scholfield!

Along with the soup I like to have some homemade rolls or homemade bread which just makes it so much better!!

Thirty-Minute White Bread
1 Cup Milk
3 Tbsp Salt
3 tsp Instant Dry Yeast
1Tbsp Butter,, melted
6 to 7 Cups bread or all purpose flour
2 Tbsp Vegetable Shortening
1 Cup Lukewarm water (105-115 degrees)
2 Tbsp Sugar

Instructions:
Warm the milk in a saucepan to soften the shortening or butter for a few moments, add the salt and the lukewarm water, and then the yeast and sugar.  Stir until dissolved,  Stir in 2 cups of flour and beat for 3 minutes at medium speed.  Gradually add 2 more cups of flour, and continue beating for 3 minutes.  Knead for about 8 minutes with strong push-turn-motion.  Divide the dough in half, and shape the balls, let res under a cloth for 5 minutes.  Form the loaves by pressing each with your palm into an oval, roughly the length of the baking pan.  Fold the oval in half, pinch the seam tightly to seal, tuck under the ends, and place seam down in 2 medium (8 1/2 x 4 1/2) greased loaf pans.  Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Brush loaves with the melted butter after baking.
Recipe by VJ Lammons

I can't wait to eat!!

Scary - BBQ Dinner at Home
I am glad that Al and Nae have shown you a healthy comfort food but mine is a true comfort and not healthy at all. But for us is more of a special occasion than an every day occurrence.

Slow Cooker Dry Rub Pulled Pork - One of Slim Jim's favorites and much more budget friendly than going to get pulled pork from a bbq joint.

You need one well marbled pork shoulder.
First mix together your dry rub. The recipe is written as a ratio and not exact about because the first time I made this recipe was for Bubba and Nae's wedding luncheon (because pulled pork is Bubba's favorite) which means we had 50 lbs of pork! For one roast I think it is better to do the parts in teaspoon amounts but if you do it in tablespoons than you will have enough to go around.

3 parts paprika, 1 part garlic powder, 1 part white sugar, 2 parts brown sugar, 1 part dry mustard, 3 parts course salt.
Salt the board with Dry Rub and then
put pork roast on top of seasoning
Place roast into seasoned cutting board (look at how great the
marbling is on this pork shoulder, look for that when you purchase your meat, because the fat is what melts to make the sauce)
Season second large section
Roll the sides in the dry rub and throw it in the crockpot, good and early! By the time dinner rolls around you will be drooling. 
I put it in the slow cooker from 7:30 am to about 6 pm on low. Man it was so yummy! Do you want to see?
At the end of the day your pork should be falling apart. 
Add your favorite sauce on top (ours is Sweet and Zesty from Famous Dave's)
Added a little shredded lettuce and yummy!
Cream Cheese and Corn Potatoes - Creation by my Mother-in-Law, loved by tons
These cream cheese potatoes are loved by all of Slim Jim's aunts and uncles! His aunts have tried to make it themselves but it never turns out quite right. I asked for the assistance of my mother-in-law so I could get these right. Your welcome, Aunt Nancy!

Ingredients
5 lbs of russet potatoes (the starchiness of russet is really the key to this dish so I wouldn't change it for a more waxy potatoes or the texture would be off)
1 1/2 packages (12 oz.) of cream cheese (or less fat cream cheese)
2 sticks of butter/margarine (1 cup)
1 can of corn
Salt and Pepper

Peal 5 lbs of russet potatoes. Rinse them while you bring 4 qts of water to a boil, salt the water until it tastes salty. Chop potatoes quarters and place in water. Boil until your fork sticks and pulls out without a lot of resistance.
Drain the water from the potatoes and immediately place back in the pan. 
To it add 1 package of cream cheese and one stick of butter. I only had low fat cream cheese so that is what I put in (but it is not required), but thinking about the amount of "yumminess" we are talking a little less fat may not be a bad thing.
Mash potatoes with butter and cream cheese, and pepper
Add 2 palm full of salt (My mother-in-law has pretty small hands)  & a fair amount of pepper 
Add another 4 oz of cream cheese and additional stick of butter, taste and then add one more handful of salt. Since my hands are pretty large I would probably add only 2, instead of 3. Remember, they should be flavorful if they aren't keep adding salt and pepper.  (I added a lot more pepper after this picture)
Drain 1 can of corn, and stir until combined.
Yummy in my tummy! Paired with BBQ it is perfection
Jo - Family Night Dessert
Chocolate Chip Cookies
When Hubbin and I first got married, he told me how much he loved Chocolate Chip Cookies.  He told me how his mom used to make them for him, and that his how he knew that she loved him.   Well, that was a shoe in for me.  If I made them all of the time, I knew that he would know how much I loved him.  I made them ALL of the time.  I made them so often, that I can do it with my eyes closed.  I can throw in extra ingredients, and know it will still turn out. 
Over the last 10 years, and literally thousands of batches later, I have adapted this recipe, to fit my taste.  I happen to think it is perfect!

Jo's Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter (not margarine!, not shortening!) Softened, not melted
1 and 1/2 cups of Brown Sugar (I love that deepness that the molassys gives to the flavor)
1TBS Vanilla
2 eggs
Cream this until it looks like whipped cream.  Maybe five minutes with the kitchen aide.  I usually load the dishwasher at this point.
Now add your flour, 3 cups.  1 tsp of salt. 1 tsp of baking soda.  and mix it until it gets that yummy cookie dough consistency.

Now if you're a Grandma, use 3 cups of chocolate chips.  If your a mom just add 2.  Some things are just reserved for Grandmas, sorry ladies.  My Grandma told me that!
You know the rest! Just put those cookies on the pan.  I put them in the timer for about 7 minutes on 350.  If they look like they need another minute, pull them out!  That means they are perfect!
My first pan full usually comes out a little funny, because this is the point that I remember to turn on the oven.  And for some reason the last panful always burns!  But, those in between pans disappear like nobodies business!  Sorry that I don't have any pictures up!  If you want to see Scary's cookies, they are here.

I shared this at:
  Lil\'Luna  MyMeatlessMondays

7 comments:

  1. Nae, I am really excited that's you posted this broccoli and cheese recipe. I have been craving it lately and wasn't sure the best way to make it. Last time I tried one it didn't exactly work out.
    Scary, Samson will be so excited when I surprise him with these potatoes. He really love them!
    Jo, I totally butchered chocolate chip cookies on Sunday and I'm excited to try this recipe. Hopefully it'll work better for me.
    Sisters, know that I am thinking about you as you make your new transitions and get used to moving or not seeing your sister so often. I love you and I'm here to talk if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this could be my list too except I've never heard of the cream cheese and corn potatoes. I'll have to give those a try. Thanks, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm way too hungry to read this haha! But I did anyway. So yummy! I love BBQ pork and make it a lot. Also tonight's mashed potatoes will have corn mixed in. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dry rub looks drool-worthy! I will have to try it soon, and your pictures are amazing!

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a very yummy list of comfort foods...your making me hungry! ;-)
    Thanks so much for sharing at Real Family Fun.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are total potato lovers... this must be on list to try very soon! Thanks so much for sharing at Super Saturday Show & Tell... I'm SO glad you came to (link) party with me! http://www.whatscookingwithruthie.com xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  7. G'day and wow how exciting, true!
    Didn't know what to look at first, but loved your potatoes and spice rub too!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Viewed as part of Rate The Plate Link Party

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad