Post Top Ad

The Taste Tester

Hi!

I'm Amanda from The Taste Tester. At my food blog I share my all-time favorite recipes; some are recipes of my own and others are from cookbooks and the web. I am so excited to be here at Shaffer Sisters today! I've known Nae for a few years (we were college roommates). In fact, when we were roommates Nae made a delicious chocolate cake for my birthday and I'll never forget it! 

When it comes to comfort food I'm a meat and potatoes kind of gal. I also love pasta, but I digress. Today I thought I'd share an incredibly simple veggie and sausage roast. It's super delish! It has meat, potatoes, and veggies, all cooked together in the same pan. The one thing I love about this comforting dish is that I'm still getting my veggies when I eat it. Plus the meat part is sausage, another food I just adore.

Sausage and Veggie Roast, guest post by The Taste Tester @ www.shaffer-sisters.blogspot.com #comfortfood

Speaking of the veggies, this recipe calls for one fennel bulb cut into wedges. If you've never had fennel before don't be shy about trying it. To be honest, my husband doesn't like it but I love it! When it is raw it smells strong like fennel seed, but as it bakes is develops a more mild flavor. I also think it smells a little bit like pepperoni while it cooks. By the time it's done, it's sweet and tender just like the onions.

Sausage and Veggie Roast

Recipe Source: Kayotic Kitchen

1 lb beef or pork sausages *in casing
3 large russet potatoes
1/2 pound baby carrots
1 red bell pepper
1 fennel bulb
1 large onion
1/2 cup chicken broth
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning
salt & freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

Peel, wash, and cut the potatoes into chunks. Peel the onion and cut it into wedges. Remove the stalks and stem from the fennel bulb, and cut that into wedges too. Slice the red pepper.

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a large roasting pan with non-stick cooking spray. Combine the prepared potatoes, onion, fennel, red pepper, and baby carrots in the roasting pan.

In a small bowl whisk the chicken broth, minced garlic, olive oil, and italian seasoning together until combined. Pour over the veggies and toss with hands to make sure all of the goodness is evenly distributed. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. 

Fifteen minutes before the veggies finish cooking, brown the sausages on each side over medium high heat in a non-stick skillet. They don't have to be cooked all the way through, just browned. Cut the browned sausages in half.

When 45 minutes is up, add the sausage to the veggies. Pour the balsamic vinegar all over the top. Bake uncovered for an additional 30 minutes, flipping the sausages at the 15 minute mark.

Sausage and Veggie Roast, guest post by The Taste Tester @ www.shaffer-sisters.blogspot.com #comfortfood

Thanks to the Shaffer Sisters for letting me stop by and share! If you like what you see, feel free to follow me on Facebook and/or Pinterest.


2 comments:

  1. Ooh this sounds so yummy! We make lots of sausage dishes here (local farm sells delicious ones) so i'll definitely be trying this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I am all over this. Both Samson and I think it looks incredible. I am also a meat and potatoes girl. I remember the single days of college and going on dates feeling like money had been wasted on sushi when I could've had an incredible steak and potato meal. Thanks for leaving this for me to have as a resource.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad