Friday, April 12, 2013

Chili Casserole: SO EASY even a 3 Year Old can make it!

So some of you might have noticed this title in your reader with no post, sorry my bad! I have not been sleeping much between a husband not getting home until almost midnight every day and a 3 year old son who is being a pill about naps and waking up at 6 am. I tried to use tab button to toggle me down to the post so I could start writing and instead I hit Enter on the publish post. 


One of my favorite things to do when the weather is bad with my kids is to cook. It helps us spend time together, it is a mess that I will already have to clean up and I notice that when kids help they are usually more invested in eating the meal, but I don't limit this just to dinners...desserts are also a favorite to cook together, for example my favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
One of these meals that is a favorite for me to make with Ryder is Chili Casserole a recipe introduced to us by our Aunt Rosie when we are kids. Now I am flat out going to admit it this is not ultra gourmet, and not the healthiest thing on the block (I am sure you could make it healthier by using homemade chili and instead of chips use whole wheat tortilla shells). I will promise you that the prep is easy and if you have 3 year old hanging around they will be able to do this almost all by themselves. (All I helped with was just making things even & open cans).
Step 1. Smash your Chips (We used about 2 sandwich bags full of tortilla chips)
Step 2: Open several cans (3 cans fed: 3 adults and 2 small children) of your favorite chili, in our family we prefer Nelly's Original. And spread the bottom of the pan with chili. (I used only 1 1/2 cans on the bottom layer)

Step 3: Add cheese on top of the chili (we got a little ahead of our selves, but don't worry we remedied the situation)
Step 4: Apply a layer of chips to the cheese
Step 5: Repeat the steps until all your chili is used.
Step 6: Top with Cheese and put in a 350 oven and cook until bubbly.
My kids like it plain. My husband likes it with sour cream. I like it as a base for a taco salad.

One of the things that I learned in my The Incredible Years Parenting class is that you give your children opportunities to be independent and the give them genuine compliments on the things that they have done. This casserole was a perfect way to be able to compliment him on helping make dinner and a good rainy weather activity.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent! Love casseroles. Thank you for sharing.

    Consider yourself hugged,
    http://simpleesue.com/frivolous-friday-bacon-corn-pancakes/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this wonderful idea at the Busy Bee's party! Good luck with getting more rest! Just a blink of the eye and your little one will be grown!
    Have a great day!
    Joye & Myrna
    The Busy Bee's

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...