Post Top Ad

Common Axis Top and a Happy Birthday



From the beginning Heber has always been quiet, calm, and sensitive. He takes life at the pace of his easy going drum. He is shy and affectionate. He has always been full of surprises (especially the day he decided to join our family and we made to the hospital less than 30 minutes before he was born).


If you were to meet him, you would be greeted with big eyes and a serious face. When strangers make him smile, he usually chooses to turn away and hide his grin in my shoulder. If you get blessed for him to share his smile, you will find warm chocolate eyes, a wide open mouth, and 2 very distinct dimples. Even with just his family, he nearly always tries to stifle his laugh and so it comes out more as a grunt.


He loves to give kisses and when he does he opens his mouth really big and goes in quick. This usually leaves me with a slobbery cheek and a red spot from the rushed kiss. His favorite thing in the world is his big sister Ty. Even on the grouchy, teething days, Ty can have him rolling in laughter. Their completely opposite personalities make for a dynamite duo.


This week Heber turned one and I find myself reflecting on my lifetime so far with him. It's funny how someone so little can make such an impact. He has taught me to relax and to not over extend myself because of his need for the easy going pace (even from the beginning). It was such a shocker when I realized that he would only do things when he was good and ready (he waited to start crawling until he was 9 months as opposed to Ty who was 10 months and walking).


Heber's chill personality brings peace to my soul. This weeks project for PR&P was the perfect opportunity to capture of his happy, zen personality. Heber needed a new shirt for church that was comfortable and didn't require a tie (he likes to chew on them and then they are really soggy and make his shirt wet too). It's been my goal this season to meet the needs of my kids' wardrobe as I sew along for PR&P and I think that I have been successful.


The fabric and design probably seem familiar, because I tried to make it correspond to Ty's Concentric Circle Dress. I didn't want Heber to have another white church shirt. I wanted something stylish and fitting for a toddler boy that had a splash of color. Lucky for me I have Scary. Our minds together are capable of near magic when it comes to clothing design.


Lately she has taken to getting the pictures off the pattern guides from the internet and putting them on Photoshop. Then she works her magic until we are completely satisfied with the outcome. This is what our design looked like when we had finished. It was everything I wanted.

Our goal with the circles on the front this time was to make them less bold and a little more distressed than the one on Ty's dress (plus eliminate the hand stitching. I used miraculous freezer paper and my silhouette again. The biggest difference in my studio design from last time was to try to make the perforations as large as possible.


I used Simplicity 1923 pattern, size 1 and hardly had to adjust it. The only exception is the length which I made size 3. Heber and Ty are both nearly in the 100th percentile for height, so we always go up a couple of sizes to get the needed length, but still want to keep it fitted. I also love the length because regardless of the position he is in while crawling or toddling, he will always have his tummy covered.


Just a reminder about our parenting link ups (see right sidebar) that are open for the rest of the month.

Also, while you are stopping by, feel free to check out what other great stuff my sisters and I have made for our kids during this season's PR&P. And keep an eye out for Scary's incredible dress for Boston. Wow, I am excited!
   

           

23 comments:

  1. absolutely gorgeous!!! I love the color and the way the two outfits work so flawlessly together and yet are unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your colour and pattern choice! This inspires me to freshen up my little guys wardrobe for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the fabrics! And you made them! wonderful. ~Major Moma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! It looks comfy yet super stylish....perfect for a special occasion! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful outfit! I love the sleeves and the sleeve tabs as well as the design on just half of the shirt. The color is beautiful. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. visiting from sewing barefoot. I love this outfit. it is so good to see boys clothes and this is spectacular. I would never have completed any stenciling or printing. you are very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE it! What a stylish shirt for your sweet little guy! And the photoshop idea...supremely clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great look! I love how they compliment each other but are very distinct...just like the kiddos that wear them no doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so cute!! I love how their outfits coordinate and how you found an alternate solution to hand stitching. Happy Birthday to your little guy!! One is fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous shirt! Love the coordinating outfits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great shirt and I love how you coordinated the two. The post about your son is just beautiful - as is he. My baby girl is about to turn two and I know just what you mean about someone so small teaching you so much. In some ways I feel like my life started oer when she came along (also fairly quickly - about 45 min after my midwife's arrival). :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the shirt, and love the matching outfits - so cute, and perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I miss this? I love it. Your description of him is so sweet. And the shirt is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you coordinated the two looks! How lucky to have such a zen guy...our baby Ruth is a WILD CHILD. I love that kid but man...she is a handful!!!!
    -liZ

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute! I love the matching outfits, they both look adorable :)

    -Ash P.
    http://distractedashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! The shirt is almost as cute as Heber! I sure love your designs. They are so gorgeous.
    Thanks so much for linking up at Real Family Fun.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful look! I love when you step outside the box on boys clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your kidos are so cute! Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great boy look, and nice coordination between outfits!! Different .... fun .... detailed .... awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous - and I love how it matches the dress, but has it's own unique flair. Thanks for sharing & linking to the Craftastic Monday party at Sew Can Do!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love - and love how you designed on the computer first!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad