Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Concentric Circle Dress



When I saw this aqua circular tessellation fabric, I instantly knew I needed to buy it. I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to use it, but I'm happy to say it was only a 3 week turnover from fabric to masterpiece. I was inspired by the design on the fabric and I wasn't sure how to focus on the details (PR&P theme is "it's all in the details").

 
I wanted it to stand out and have a go at trying something new. I decided to try my luck at hand embroidery. The bodice of the dress was cut from a white on white fabric and I used a corresponding embroidery floss to make the design. Let me tell you, it was a TON of work! For two and a half days I sat exclusively chain stitching the front and back bodice pieces. The last day I went almost 22 hours straight so that I could get this done in time. For a while there I was definitely wondering if I bit off more than I could chew, but I didn't want all of my already invested time to be a waste. I'm so glad I did because now Ty has an heirloom dress and I have a new tool for my tool bag of skills.


As you may remember, I love freezer paper! It is so cheap and has so many useful applications, especially if you are lucky enough to own a silhouette. I had the brilliant idea to use freezer paper as a template for my design. I tried my best to mimic the circular design on the aqua fabric on silhouette. I switched the line style of my design so that it was perforated. Then I traced it so that when I cut it in silhouette it would cut out the little hashes  (I had a few extra steps that ended up being unnecessary and a waste of time, so I won't share those with you). Then I applied the stencil to my bodice piece (that is already applied to interfacing for support) with a dry iron. After that I used a fabric marker to go along marking the hashes so that later I know where to stitch after I have pulled it off.


Then I got busy chain stitching. I learned how it was done by watching a few videos on YouTube. I learned a lot from doing this project and will probably do more hand embroidery in the future, but probably not over an entire bodice like this. It took me three and a half packages of embroidery floss to finish this.


If you want this look and aren't willing to put in the time, you could always use freezer paper as a stencil. Then apply craft paint paired with a textile medium; given it might not be quite as textured and fun as this.


Ty loves that there are circles all over the dress and was so excited when I had finally finished it. The only thing she was upset about was that the zipper was under her armpit and not exposed like last week's dress. Next week I will be making a matching church outfit for Heber, but I think I will take a break from the hand embroidery.


Thank you all for your support on last week's sew along! It was so much fun to get input and I will try my best to return the favor. The Insignia Go Go Dress will probably one of the first of our line that we put up for sale in our Etsy shop when I get back to Idaho (only one and a half more month). It was definitely a pleasant surprise to win and an incredible honor! I am really excited about the $25 towards the fat quarter shop because I really love making quilts! Every one in my little family has one to two pieced quilts that I have made for them, but I still have yet to make one for me.

38 comments:

  1. Beautiful embroidery, such a pretty dress! Congrats on last weeks win, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another darling dress Al! I love the tied sleeves and the peek holes. The orange peel pattern is one of my favorites as well as hand stitching!! Beautiful details!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Stars!!!!! This is drop-dead gorgeous.... I love the textured design on the bodice, as well as the color-scheme of the entire outfit. WOW! You completely outdid yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the dress and your model is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The embroidery is just stunning! A great labor of love, and well worth it:) Your daughter looks beautiful in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness! I ADORE the embroidered bodice!!! The dress is lovely and looks wonderful on your gorgeous child. Love the sleeves, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is great!! I'm sure Ty will treasure this when she has her own kids! Beautiful job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing!!! This looks like another winner to me! :)

    -Ash P
    http://distractedashley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is gorgeous! I love the colors, and your embroidery is amazing! I also love the tie sleeve detail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful, and I love the colour. The embroidery is such a stunning detail :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous! I really like the tied sleeves detail. Personally, I think all the work you did on the embroidery was worth it!
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  12. I admire the work, time energy put into this beautiful dress. It looks like it was well worth it. I hope your little girl enjoys this and there is someone else (a younger family or friend) that this dress can be passed on to. Congrats on your win, wishing you more success with the insigna dress.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a super cute little dress... and a cutie pie model too! Thanks for linking up this post to The Weekend re-Treat! on The Best Blog Recipes. I wanted to stop by and "Pin" your post while I was here tonight :)

    Shauna @ The Best Blog Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, great stitching! I love those tie sleeves too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great dress! I love the embroidered circles and the knot sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yet another beautiful creation! Love all those details!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can believe these are your first chain stitches! So beautiful. I love the photo shoot against the black and white patterned floor too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These pictures are beautiful and the dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This dress is so lovely, the color is perfect. Beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dropped by from Show Me What You've Got - I love what you've done with this dress top and your model shows it off to perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Shared this on my blog. http://dudeyourockmysocks.blogspot.com/2013/04/week-3-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is beautiful!!! I am visiting you from The Weekly Creative/Sewing Barefoot. Read my post on teaching your children to sew:
    http://www.thelostapron.com/2013/04/summer-sewing-camp.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous embroidery! I used that same fabric to line my daughter's dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is amazing! It is beautiful! I can't believe you stitched all that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!
    --Mandy, www.SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. beautiful! I'm a new follower by way of Oh What a Happy Day! I really love the colors you chose for the dress too. Have a nice day!
    Melanie
    http://violetsbuds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Simply gorgeous! What a huge amount of work to do all the hand embroidery. It sure paid off because it is a gorgeous dress. I'm sharing this on my social media sites today. Thanks so much for linking up. I hope to see you again next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is beautiful embroidery... a lovely, lovely design. And one of my favorite colors. Lynaea @ EveryDayBloom.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! and the girl Oh my Gosh!!! Awesome job!! Loved it

    I'd be very happy if you could join my new Link Party next Sunday with this, that would be great!!!!

    Hope you are having a lovely day

    Hugs
    Cami @ TitiCrafty blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful. I'm in awe of he amount of hand stitching you did!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yayyyy I'm so in love with this! Thank you so much for stopping by and linking this up at Bewitch Me & Titi! Hope to have you there next week!

    Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    Hugs
    Cami @ TitiCrafty by Camila

    ReplyDelete
  32. BTW I'm a follower/stalker =P on all media! Yayyy!

    Hugs
    Cami @ TitiCrafty by Camila

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great use of geometric shape. I love the embroidery! Thank you for sharing! I’d love to have you visit me at Get Your Crap Together! We have a Pattern Party with free patterns from the 1st of the month to the 10th that I’d love for you to check out. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Incredible!!! It all works together so well, love the dress! And I love her little shoes too :)

    Heidi

    http://handmadefrenzy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. this is beautiful. i love the concentric circles.. such a beautiful accent to the dress. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Al, It's me again LOL, Stopping by to tell you that you are going to be feature tomorrow!!! yayyy so come and link up again and grab you featured button!

    Hugs
    Cami @ TitiCrafty by Camila

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...