Post Top Ad

Jo's Chicken Salad Sandwich

Now that I am pregnant there are about 3 main things on my brain.
1st- What can I eat?
2nd- Where is the nearest bathroom?
3rd- Can I sleep on that?

Today I woke up from my nap, found the nearest bathroom and then went to the kitchen.  I was ravenous.  I mean, my left arm was lookin' pretty tasty.   I looked around like a Tasmanian devil, trying to find something to eat.  Protein was definitely on the menu, but when I went to find some meat in the fridge, the smell turned my stomach and I right around!
 I decided to go with something canned instead.  Enter Costco's Kirtland brand canned chicken.(No this is not a product promo- I wish they knew I was promoting them, and that they would pay me in cases of canned tuna and chicken, but alas I am on my own!)

Jo's Chicken Salad
12.5 oz. of canned chicken
1/2 c. mayo
1/4 c roasted sunflower seeds
1/4 c raisins (Captain America said to mention that these are optional)
1/8 c almonds
Mix it all together and put some of it on a couple slices of fresh bread with a couple leaves of lettuce.  And, if your pregnant go ahead and devour it now!  If not, feel free to cut it, say a prayer, invite your husband to dine along, etc.

I hope you love this as much as I do.  On a side note, I considered putting shredded coconut in the mix, but I wondered if that might be just a pregnancy thing.  What do you think? Would coconut be good in it?

With Love,
-Jo

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I think I'll try this for lunch tomorrow. You know, coconut might not be a bad addition--especially if you substitute the mayo for some nonfat plain yogurt--I think it would be very appropriate. Thanks for sharing this creative recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela! I love the idea of using plain yogurt! I am going to write a "how to" here on the blog in a few weeks, on making yogurt in a crockpot. It is so cheap and easy. And, I am not the biggest fan of mayo anyways. I guess you and I will have to try coconut! Good luck with the recipe tomorrow!
      with love,
      -Jo

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about meat turning your stomach when pregnant. I had such a hard time with looking at, smelling, touching, and eating meat when I was pregnant with my son. Even chicken tasted too 'meaty/gamy' to me! (He turned out to be a huge carnivore!) Try dried cranberries or halved red seedless grapes instead of raisins, too, in your chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      I know! I can't even go down the meat isle at the grocery store! How funny that he ended up loving meat so much!
      Scary is writing a tutorial over at Best Blog Recipes. I am not sure when it is going up, but it has a chicken salad recipe with grapes, celery, and cashews! yum! and on a croissant too! It looked good enough that I thought I might have to drive the 15 hours, just to eat one. :) Thanks for your comment- isn't it great that chicken salad can be so versatile!
      with love,
      -Jo

      Delete
  3. YUM!!! Now I'm hungry!! Thanks for linking this up to Give Me The Goods Monday! Hope to see you again tomorrow ;)
    Jamie @ somuchbetterwithage.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm think the coconut might be a pregnancy thing ;-)

    Thank you so much for linking up at the Friday Baby Shower - look forward to seeing you at this week's party, Alice x

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad