Tuesday, April 16, 2013

So Yummy You Wouldn't Even Know It Was Healthy Applesauce Spice Cake and special announcement

So I didn't want to go shopping on Saturday.  I was to tired.  I didn't mention this yet, but I am pregnant.  Baby #6 will be joining us in November. (this is the special announcement-can I get a wahoo!) That being said, everything has been falling apart around here.  I have mounds of laundry, dishes and the kids are wearing  clothes from the back of their dressers (but those dressers are getting empty)
Luckily I have a pretty terrific sister-in-law, and she is picking up a ton of the slack.  She runs the kids to school, makes half of the meals, and keeps me going.
Last night was my turn to cook, but since I didn't go shopping I was having a hard time coming up with something for dessert.  I had planned on doing cheesecake, but I just didn't have the ingredients.  So, on to the super yummy applesauce spice cake.

         "So Yummy You Wouldn't Even Know it Was Healthy Applesauce Spice Cake"
   

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
      1/2 C butter
      1 tsp.  ground cinnamon
      1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
       1/4 tsp ground cloves
       1/4 tsp. ground ginger
       1 1/2 C sugar
       1/2 tsp  vanilla
Cream all of these ingredients together.  When I say cream I mean make it look like whipped cream-thick and fluffy
       1 1/4 C  milk
       1 tsp lemon juice
       2 C whole wheat flour
       2 tsp baking powder
       1/4 tsp salt
       1 C applesauce
       2 tsp. Molasses
I personally think the lemon juice made the applesauce flavor really stand out.  Bake this in a buttered 9X13- I used a dark metal pan.  I baked it for about 30 minutes.  But, my oven bakes a little warm.  It had a pretty heavy- sweet bread feel to it, not the light and fluffy cake your used to.

OK, here is the fun part.
I have never browned butter before, but it brings out such a yummy flavor out.
so here is a recipe for Browned Butter frosting
3/4 c of browned butter (melt the butter on low until it turns a light golden)
6 c powdered sugar
3 TBL of Milk
1 1/2 tsp of vanilla
1/4 tsp of cinnamon
whip it all together and wallah yummy frosting perfection.

                       
We may have eaten it for breakfast this morning too.  Just saying-it could be considered healthy.  If you liked this, you should check out my other pregnancy craving here or Scary and Al's here.

16 comments:

  1. Yum!!!!!! This looks amazing. Since not only did you write a blog post, but you also raved about it on the phone I will be making it this week as it's rainy and cold and there would be nothing better to eat than a spice cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! My husband and I are both from families of six kids, and someday we hope to have at least as many. =)
    This cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charity! I wondered if any body would catch that. My husbands from a family of 11, but he would love to have 20! :) wish me luck ;)
      with love,
      Jo

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Jo! I can imagine how tired you are! I was sick with every pregnancy, but of course it is worth it- nothing like a sweet little baby!! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! We’ve recently discovered your blog and have been thoroughly enjoying all of your posts… so much so that we are passing along to you the Liebster Award! You may have seen this on blogs you follow (you may even have been nominated already!) and we think this is great way for our fellow bloggers to showcase each other and to give a big shout-out to the blogs we love! Should you feel like playing along, we look forward to hearing all about you and the blogs you love! http://hamiltonchicklets.wordpress.com/2013/04/17/an-exciting-week/

    That recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! On browning butter. Haha just kidding (although it DOES change your life). Congrats on the new addition. That is wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your pregnancy news... and thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving this cake recipe! Super congratulations on baby numero seis!(I hope you get lots of rest.)Thank you for sharing that beautiful news.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my heck - this looks amazing! I've never browned butter before either but now I just might try. Thanks for the amazing recipe! And WAHOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ERIKA!!! Congratulations on baby #6! I'm so happy for you, and cannot stop smiling. :) Lots of love, and best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks awesome! Pinning!

    Awesome post!

    I would love for you to link up to my TGIF Link Party!

    http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-peek-into-my-paradise-tgif-link-party.html

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to try this recipe out! Looks amazing! Congrats on the upcoming baby! I am a new follower from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and hopefully you will want to follow me back! Have a great night, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! The apple sauce looks fab.

    Thank you so much for linking up at the Friday Baby Shower - look forward to seeing you at this week's party, Alice x

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...