Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A pleated coin purse: CailaMade {Make for Mom Series 2013}


Thank you so much, for having me here today! I think this is such a fabulous idea for a sewing series, and I'm so happy to be participating.

The best part about doing "Make for Mom", is that it actually forced me to slow down and make something for my mom. I'm often so busy with kids and life that my mom usually gets some flowers and something store-bought for Mother's Day. There's nothing wrong with store-bought, I know. But giving her something handmade seems so much better. I like to think of it this way:

My mom has been making for me my entire life. She makes time for me. She makes room for me. She makes food for my family, makes reservations, makes phone calls, makes plans, makes long drives, she makes makes makes all the time because she loves me. Surely all her making deserves at least one little hand-made coin purse in response?

So I made her this little number in some of my favorite colors, because I know she shares my love of coral and teal. She's always on the go, often in need of change or a lip-stick redo, and now those little things don't need to get lost in her big bag. She lives a whole state away from us, up in Oregon, and I like to think that although I can't go walking with her in the mornings, this little coin purse can.

If you're interested in making a metal frame clutch, or coin purse, check out the FREE pattern on my blog. I also offer a tutorial on how to make a pattern from any metal frame, so no need to worry if you don't have access to the same kind of hardware I use.

For this coin purse, I thought it would be fun to mix things up a little bit, so I added some pleats! I'm working on a picture tutorial for this variation right now, and it should be coming out soon.



Pretty fun, huh?

The outer fabric is a home dec weight by Premier Prints, but I can't for the life of my find the link for you. I purchased it from Fabric.com, where they sell a large range of Premier Prints fabrics.


The coin purse is lined with Herringbone in Pond, a cotton print by Joel Dewberry, purchased from Hawthorn Threads for a friends' baby bedding. I use the leftover scraps all the time for little projects like this, and love the result every time. 


I purchased the hardware from this shop on Etsy and I la-la-love this particular frame. That blue? Oh, I adore it! I wish it was candy so I could take a bite.


I'm working on a picture tutorial for this pleated coin purse that should be up sometime later this week. Keep checking back at my blog, CailaMade, to see when it's up. Or better yet, follow my Facebook page for current updates on tutorials and other blog happenings!



In the meantime, enjoy this picture of me and my lovely momma, with my daughter Abby. Three generations of blonds:



Thank you so much for reading, friends! Come on over to my blog sometime and leave me a line. I love to receive comments and emails, and always respond to each one! Love to you all, and happy Mothers'-Month!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Caila this is adorable! LOVE those beads on top! But love even more the pic of the 3 of you! I have a bit of a thang for generation pics!!! I can hardly wait for the tute on this change bag!! kweenbee_612@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...