Friday, May 24, 2013

Ariadne Top {A.K.A. Not a Potato Sack} : Winter Wonderings and Whatnot {Make for Mom Series 2013}

If you follow my blog you know that I sew a lot!  I sew for baby girl, I sew for my twin boys A&B, I've sewn Christmas gifts for my nieces and nephews, I've even sewn for my mom.  You may have noticed that conspicuously missing from that list is sewing for ME.

I actually sewed for myself quite a bit in college and before I was married   I've made countless skirts, a few dresses, and some easy tops that are still hanging in my closet and get worn quite often.  But since having kids, my sewing for myself has gone the way of everything else post kids - to the END of the list.  And the end of my list is really never accomplished because the list just keeps growing and the things for me just keep getting bumped further and further down.

I was so excited to be contacted by the Shaffer Sisters to participate in this month's series, 'Sewing For Mom'.  The only way I was ever going to sew for me was to have a deadline and someone counting on me to submit my post on time - that is just the kinda gal I am .   And yet, my first deadline came and went with no post from me.... WHAT???  How could I do that, how could I let down these awesome bloggers who offered to let me be a part of this awesome series.  Well, I tried to meet that deadline.  I had a vision in my head of what I wanted, I had fabric on hand to create that vision. I cut it out, I sewed it up, I tried it on.... I almost cried!  It was a potato sack - worse than a potato sack - it was AWFUL!!!  I quickly sent off an e-mail to the sisters explaining my predicament and offering to do a post on a camera strap cover (ummm, can we say slightly boring).  They graciously offered me a later date if I wanted to try again.  I didn't really want to try again.  I mean my first attempt was a POTATO SACK!!!!  That does not exactly help ones' self esteem ;op
So,  I decide to pull on my big girl panties and give it one more try - I mean seriously you can't stop with defeat!
I scrapped my original idea - maybe that style is just all wrong for my 'MAMA' body.  I don't feel like I can really say' post pregnancy' body over a year after giving birth ;op  I searched though my pinterest boards and fell on a top I've had pinned forever.  The Ariadne Top by Tanit-Isis is not only a stylish top with forgiveness for my less than apparent abs, but it is also FREE!!!!  I then decided that rather than upcycling or trying to make something from my stash work, I was going to go BUY fabric - wait, stop, hold the presses!!!  I think this is the first time I've bought fabric for ME in over a decade, maybe not that long, but has to be over 5 years.  I went to Joanns with a coupon in hand and came up with ZILTCH, nothing, nada... anything I liked was $12-14 a yard or much much more, and that was too much sticker shock for this girl (especially when I would rather spend that money supporting small businesses that have better options at a lower cost!).  But, I had waited too long to order anything.  I decided to pop in a Walmart and just see if they had anything I was interested in.  20 minutes later, I walked out with over 15 yards of fabric for $25.  It is a gamble, but it was fun ;o)



So with my $1.50 a yard fabric from wally-world, I created this little gem.  I will be making plenty more.  I did shorten the neckline binding significantly in order to raise it up - this had the unforeseen effect of narrowing the chest/shoulders a bit more than I would have planned.  Next time I will just cut the neckline higher to avoid that problem.  I also made the key hole about an inch shorter (up from the bottom) I didn't want any chance of my bra showing in the back.  I love the keyhole though - it was what drew me to the pattern in the first place.



All in all I am so happy with this top.  I will be wearing it on date night with my hubby this week, and even he was impressed with the look of the top ;o)

The obligatory looking down shot ;op

Thanks for having me today - and remember to make time for you, and don't give up when life throws you a potato sack!  Hugs, Suzanne

8 comments:

  1. thanks for having me today ladies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, Suzanne! You are so hilarious!!!! I wish you had shown us you in the potato sack creation!!!! I have plenty of outfits that I completely ruined, too! But that's sort of the fun of it! :) haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahah - no, no one wants to see a picture of me in the potato sack... least of all me ;op If I put it on the internet, it is there FOREVER!!!! Here's to the major flubs, and the eventual success that come from them ;o)

      Delete
  3. Look at you, cutie pie Suzanne!!! That top is soooo cute! I feel the EXACT same way about purchasing fabric. I've also found a few gems at "wally-world". :) Yay for the $1.50/yard. Works for me! Enjoy your date night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, date night was awesome ;o) I really need to make more of these shirts... I really loved how comfy it was... and without the keyhole, it would go together even faster!!!

      Delete
  4. It looks great! I love that fabric and can't believe you got that fabric at Walmart! I'm glad you tried again because it looks so good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Suzanne! Now I am bumming that our local Walmart eliminated their fabric section. You did a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne, you look amazing. I know exactly what you mean about working so hard on something only to be disappointed with the fit. I'm so glad these ladies encouraged you to keep going. I stopped sewing for myself because it just seemed to be getting too frustrating. But in the last few months I've decided to go for it and I'm learning a lot about my post-baby body and fitting. Not everything is a win, but it still feels good to wear something I made for myself :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...