Post Top Ad

Color-Block Summer Maternity/Non-Maternity Skirt: Jo {Make for Mom Series 2013}

My sisters and I go shopping together on Google Chat from time to time.  (We need to do that again girls-I saw that they have a new line up) *Ahem* We especially love Amazon Dresses.  We dream about how we can remake them for a fraction of the cost and what fabrics we would use.
I personally lean toward the forgiving look that a color-block lends to any outfit.
 
this is a potato sack dress if I ever saw one, but it looks great because of the color blocking. 

In the summer time you can find me in shorts, comfy yoga pants, or skirts.  Mostly skirts, because they are comfortable and still acceptable to wear in public.
 I have had this color-blocked skirt in my mind for a few months.  I have had the fabric for a while to.  Make for Mom was the perfect opportunity for me to do a bit of selfish sewing, and I am super excited to have  a new summer skirt.


I hate these t-shirts and these maternity pants, which makes them the perfect candidates for a makeover.
 
The colors are a little brighter than I would normally pair, but, I threw caution to the wind it is color-blocking for goodness sake!

I am a fan of a little longer than knee length skirts. 

 I don't like the fullness of a circle skirt, because when the wind blows I blush!  So, a more fitted A-line works for me.  I cut the pattern from this skirt from Shade.  They cleared it out about 3 years ago and it has been a favorite staple of mine ever since.  However, it is covered in paint, oil stains, and I hate to say, there are even a few holes.

I like the look of light in the center and dark on the out sides.
I doubled the knits, because the navy blue was a little heavier polyester.








It went together really easy, and I even got to use a ready made hem and waist band, double score!
Here is the finished product.

And here is what I do in the finished product!

Its a rough job, but somebody has to do it, I am just glad its me.

With Love,
-Jo
By the way, I just wanted to say a quick thank you to the women who were brave enough this month to add their pictures to our blog.  It is not easy being posted in living color!  You are my heros and because of you, I decided to bite the bullet and put my pictures up too, so thank you for being brave!

9 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of the colors! Just stopping by to say hi. I'm part of the Summer Series as well and am excited to see more from you. New follower and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britney, thanks for stopping by. I went over to your blog and it is really cute. So, we are following you back!
      with love,
      -Jo

      Delete
  2. It looks so comfy! I love to wear skirts in the summer, too. I am just not a shorts type of person. :)I am over here from SONP. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Brooke. I agree skirts are a no-brainer in the summer. That is why SONP was a good fit for us.
      We hope to catch yah back!
      with love
      -jo

      Delete
  3. Such a great idea to reuse the waistband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think that old waist band will finally get some use. :) Have a great day Sarah.
      with love
      -Jo

      Delete
  4. What a fun skirt! And I too think skirts are just perfect for summer. They are cool, and comfortable and something you can look good in where ever you are. ~Major Moma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Major Momma!
      Have you heard of the Summer of no Pants series? If you get any good skirt or dress sewing in this summer you can post it over there.
      Thanks for your comment and all of your links to our linky party.
      With love,
      -Jo

      Delete
  5. First of all I love that you guys chat over google to shop amazon. That sounds hysterical :)

    And I also love that you are not afraid to get dirty while wearing a skirt. I feel so much more "dressed" for the day in a skirt and am discouraged when people think it's too fancy. I'm not a big shorts fan (on myself) so summer is all about skirts and dresses here. I love this colorblock version!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad