Post Top Ad

Date Night Separates: Little Kids Grow {Make for Mom Series 2013}

Hi everyone! It's me, Shannon, from LittleKidsGrow.com. Thank you so much for having me!

I don't have a lot of extra time to sew for myself these days, so when I am able to carve out a bit of "me time", I try to make sure it counts. I made a commitment to myself earlier this year to start doing more things for me. Moms know how easy it can be to put ourselves on the back burner when we have precious little ones in our view. So, anytime we are able to do something that makes us feel good, is a great day in my book!Make for Mom Shaffer Sisters Pic 2
Before I started, I had to first figure out what I needed. My closet is really pitiful right now, so I was basically starting from scratch. (Ha! Ha!) I knew I needed easy workable pieces for a busy lifestyle, something that I could mix and match with items already in my wardrobe. I started with the fabric. So, what do you make with pink stretchy denim? You make a puzzle skirt, of course! I started with a self-drafted straight skirt pattern. I cut out rectangular pieces of denim. I then began to piece then together, alternating fabric sides for color contrast. Make for Mom Skirt Cut Out Once I had the fabric pieced together and sewn up, I folded it on the bias and cut out the front skirt piece. The back skirt piece was cut from a single layer of fabric in two pieces so I could add a hemline slit. Once the front and back were sewn together, I added a simple fold over waistband, and I was all done! (Yay!).

The top, on the other hand, was a teeny bit of a challenge. I wanted something I could dress up, throw on with a pair of old jeans, or wear underneath a cardigan without too much bulkiness. I knew I wanted something form fitting, but not quite sure, what it would look like. I sketched an idea on paper, grabbed my dress form, and started playing around with some ideas. Make for Mom Shaffer Sisters Pic 3
I eventually came up with something that I love. A semi-wrap-fold over- origami, ummm top, that buttoned up the back. The final top looked nothing like my original idea, but I love that part of designing -- expecting the unexpected.Make for Mom Shaffer Sisters Collage Shaffer Sisters, you are absolutely the best for having me today. Thank you for the motivation to sit down and make something for myself. Happy Day! Shannon LittleKidsGrow

13 comments:

  1. Nice job again, Shannon! I especially love the top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, Shannon! This is soooo gorgeous (you, the outfit...everything)!!! I'm going to need a few more hours in the day so I can start to sew for myself again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the outfit Shannon! Shaffer Sisters, what a great series!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the skirt and am planning to revamp my wardrobe too, so this one is in my knock off list. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo Shannon! Lookin' sexy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the wrapped/pleated aspect of the top you made Shannon! And how fun to make your own puzzle fabric from the pink denim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot!! Haha! That top is amazing. I love the origami feel to it. And I didn't realize the pink was denim at first. The puzzle effect is great. And I can totally see them being worn as separates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the series idea Shaffer Sisters!
    Thank you for the lovely compliments, ladies!!!
    (Can't wait to see what the hubby thinks! Hee! Hee!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this top is amazing. It looks super fun& i would absolutely rock it on a date night. Good job!


    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so cute Shannon! Love that skirt so much! And the top is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad