Post Top Ad

Forgiving Mom Top {Make for Mom Series 2013}

It has been a lot of fun to see what has been posted for the "Make for Mom" series. I have been so inspired by the moms out there that put themselves out there to make something for themselves, and now I know how hard that can be.

Being a mom is a lot of fun. I totally love it and would rather do it than anything else, but often times you have to make personal sacrifices to do the best for your kids. Pretty much the biggest and only thing that I miss is being physically fit. My entire life (up until having kids that is) I did sports year round. I was always active, but now with 2 kids to manage, a super sweet, but sensitive 1 year-old that doesn't like strangers, and less time to think about myself I can see that things need to change and I'm not sure exactly how to do that. I know that the first step to change is recognizing and facing the problem, but another big part of it is to not beat yourself up emotionally.


Scary found this black fancy tank top (that she got when she was pregnant with Ryder) that she always wears over a white shirt. It is what she calls her "forgiving mom top." This is something that she turns to for dates and is something that no matter what, she always feels beautiful in. We have tried to duplicate it to make one for me, but it never quite worked out. I was wishing I had something to hide the post babies pooch on the days when I am bloated or just feel fat. Plus with a forgiving mom top I wouldn't have to deal with the awkward grocery store conversations when strangers ask me when I'm due, and embarrassed and self conscious, I respond that I already had my baby.


This shirt is the perfect solution. It is fitted just for me. Plus the black in the middle and on the back in contrast to the white gives a slimming look.I now have a comfortable and flattering shirt to wear on dates. Not to mention the fact that it has pretty amazing pockets (I used McCall 6565 as my pattern, but did a contrasting top instead of all one color). Perfect for putting my phone and wallet in when I go out. I used rayon as my primary fabric. This gives it the cool and comfortable feel that will be perfect for these crazy hot days that we've been getting in Chicago.


For all you moms out there that need something forgiving as you work on locating that fit and trim body you once had, this may be the perfect shirt for you. My apologies that this isn't as stellar of a project/photography session as usual, but unfortunately I'm basically on my own until Samson gets home from work at night and I'm not quite the confident model that Ty is anymore. That will be my goal for next season's Project Sewn when I have Scary to be my paparazzi and I'm hopefully more trim and ready for the limelight.


Thank you Project Sewn for pushing me to take a little time to do some selfish sewing.

7 comments:

  1. What a great top! We all need something like this in our closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pockets are amazing (why should kids have all the pocket fun?) and it really is very slimming. I'm planning a bathing suit with the black and white contrast for me for summer :) We all do what we can to try to feel confident post baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great top! I myself have been wanting to take some time to sew some clothes for myself. Especially with our little one due any day- I myself with have a post baby pooch to hide :)

    I wanted to invite you to join in our Meet & Greet Blog Hop! It runs Friday night till the end of Monday, come link up if you have some time this weekend :)

    http://createdbylaurie.blogspot.com/2013/05/meet-greet-blog-hop-26.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the top. My last baby was born almost six years ago, and my kids still wonder if I have a baby in my tummy! Even moms that aren't new moms need to hide that pooch sometimes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute shirt! Love the pockets. Thanks so much for linking up at the Real Family Fun link party! Hope to see you next week.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute top! I love this!! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Linky Party.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad