Post Top Ad

To the childless Mothers

This morning I woke up in tears.  I can't stop thinking about the women who can't have children or aren't married.  My heart yearns for them.  I want them to enjoy what I enjoy.  To hold a baby in their arms.  I want some child to say, "I love you Momma!" to them.

I received word from Mary Ott this morning that it was OK to put this song on this post.  As I was searching for just the right healing balm to add to this post, I found this song and it touched my heart.  Please enjoy.
And if you love it, it is available for download from digital retailers such as amazon, iTunes, and rhapsody. 

Every year for mothers day, in every congregation I have been in- Mothers Day is the topic.  Mothers are revered, and given gifts, praised and adored.  This morning as I was getting ready I mentioned to Captain America that I was sad for the women without families and children.  I expressed how I wished for those women that we could just ignore Mother's Day.  I wished that we could just talk about the atonement and the Saviors suffering for our own pains and suffering.  


True to tradition the opening talk was about all of the service that mothers render, and the second was the roll of daughters of god as mothers.  Oh my heart ached.  And then as if by some answer to secret prayer, our sweet bishop got up and spoke of the very concerns in my heart. He talked about he and his wife and how for many many years they were unable to conceive. After much struggle and five years of trying they were finally blessed to be parents. He talked about the heartache and joy. There wasn't a single woman with a dry eye in the congregation. Thank you Heavenly Father for the compassion of a bishop.  
One of my dear friends from Minnesota wrote this, and I used it with her permission.
 "Not too long ago, I was childless. I desperately wanted children. Every Mother's Day was a struggle. Not because I didn't love my own Mother or Grandmother or any other Motherly figure in my life, but because I wanted to be called "Mom". I can clearly remember how difficult it was for every Mother's Day to come and not have any children. The emotions I felt were so real, so raw. To my friends who are going through IVF treatments, taking different medications and trying their hardest to have children...I understand. I'm praying for your comfort. I love you."

This is my friend with her two beautiful children.

One of my friends sent me an email today, with this awesome quote.
While we tend to equate Motherhood solely with maternity, in the Lord’s language the word mother has layers of meaning. Of all the words they could have chosen to define her role and her essence, both God the Father and Adam called Eve “the mother of all living”--and they did so before she ever bore a child... Motherhood is more than bearing children...  It is the essence of who we are as women.It defines our very identity,our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us... Gordon B. Hinckley has also stated “God planted within women something divine”. That something is the gift and gifts of Motherhood."-  Sheri Dew
Sheri Dew is an amazing, unmarried, childless, woman.  
    

We have each been blessed to mother children, and their are many mothers around the world also that are assisting us quietly behind the scenes in helping us mother our children. So to all of those mothers out there, with or without children we give this Mothers Day gift to you, 2 free motherhood printables.


3 comments:

  1. My daughter had to speak in church today her topic was mothers. While she did talk about me and her grandmother she also spoke about the women in her life who have nurtured her and effectively been mothers, one of those women is single and childless. My daughter said she felt it was important to remember her as Mother's Day would be hard for her but also because she deserved praise. My daughter is only 15, I am very proud of her for being so insightful and thoughtful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your words. My husband has Cystic Fibrosis, and we are left unable to have children. We have been happily married for over 10 years, but the pain of not having children of our own is great. I am a teacher, so I get to spend most of my days "mothering" other people's children. - Mother's Day is especially difficult. I am blessed to have my Mom and Grandma as Godly examples. For Mother's Day, I try to concentrate on celebrating them and their legacy. However, church is beyond painful. Most pastors don't seem to understand that while they are celebrating motherhood - donning flowers and accolades to the women and girls who have been able to propagate, they are ignoring and pouring salt on the wounds of women who are grieving their empty wombs. It is hard to not be selfish and dwell in the filth and mire of personal heartache on Mother's Day. - Mother's Day 2012, I wrote the song as a malady for my heart as I was lying in bed summoning up the courage to face the day. I hope that it can be a blessing to other women. I appreciate your words of encouragement and your acknowledgement that there are women who are hurting for many reasons on Mother's Day. I pray for each hurting woman. A woman I know had one daughter who died, she is divorced, and her mother is dead. So, Infertility is not the only hurt on Mother's Day; but it is more common than you probably assume. Thank you for recognizing it.
    Mary Ott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this post. I have been blessed by it. I used to see mothers mainly as women with children but now I know better. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad