Post Top Ad

Tiered Skirt: Replicate Then Deviate {Make for Mom 2013}

Hello! I'm Emily and I blog at replicate then deviate. A huge thank you to Jo, Al, and Scary for inviting me to participate in their Make for Mom series. Most of my sewing is for my daughter because she's still growing and still likes what I make (which I know won't last forever) but it recently occurred to me that I only have a few articles of clothing that I feel great in (don't worry, I have a lot of clothes, I just don't like how they look on me) and it doesn't have to be like that.
I love this tiered skirt! Tiered skirts are great for beginners/those who want a fairly quick project- they are just straight lines and this one has no finnicky closures. I based it on Dana from Made's Can Can Skirt pattern. (you can see my first can can skirt here). The first change I made is obvious- I eliminated the ruffles. I also combined the waistband and the first tier and made it smaller than the pattern called for b/c I only had a yard of the main fabric (an Amy Butler remnant I found at Porters) and added topstitching on each tier. I love how this pattern fits slim through the hips and flares at the bottom! The other two fabrics came from Joann- one is the quilting fabric I used to line Ansley's birthday dress (and Al used here- clearly the Shaffers have good taste!) and the other is from the lisette line. I used wide elastic in the waistband. Here's a blurry picture of what the whole skirt looks like. I don't actually wear it like this. :)
(more pictures of the skirt here) Thank you Shaffer Sisters for having me!
 

2 comments:

  1. What a cute skirt! Love the colors and the tiers.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  2. The skirt looks great on you! It's so nice having something you made for yourself that you actually feel good wearing. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad