Post Top Ad

Friday Facet: Country Girl feels a little lost in this Surban Jungle

 We have lived in the "Greater Salt Lake" area for 3 weeks. One of those I was gone to help as a HOBY Facilitator and visit our Aunt and Uncle at Steen's Mountain.  The other night when I drove home from Idaho, I was determined that I would take the Legacy Highway and the Belt Way (I-215, for you Utah folks) and find my way home without getting lost.  (Note: I am much better at getting to our apartment from I-15, but the other way is a much better way to avoid all of the traffic).

Growing up I did stuff like this:
Al and I in Junior Riding club
The fish I caught one summer after work while fishing with my dad.
It was a requirement in our family if you caught you cleaned something
that scared my college roommates at first.
Sometimes for special occasions Dad would take us out target shooting. 
Up until a few months ago Rexburg, Idaho was the largest town I had lived in for a prolonged period. Rexburg has a population of about 25,000 (13,000+ being college students) isn't more than a big little town.


Back to me getting off on the Belt way. I got off at what I thought was my exit. But headed West instead of East I was miles from the right direction. I panicked and couldn't remember what my address was and what the number of the main roads we were off of. I didn't have my cellphone, I knew I was going to be lost forever!

I remembered that the complex had given us a keychain with our address on it. I was creeping down the road just trying to find something familiar that was even remotely close to the number listed on the keychain, when I realized I was holding traffic up. I got back up to speed and turned left because it seemed like I needed to head more toward the mountains. At this point I was completely frazeled.
Then I saw:
Source: Desert News Utah's first flex lane systems
Now for someone who is used to driving through livestock but who's hometown didn't even have a four way stop this looks daunting but I was some what relieved because I remembered there are flex lanes by our home. I breathed a sigh of relief, I might make it home. A few minutes later I was in our box filled apartment.

This is a metaphor for how I feel right now. I feel a little lost, frazzled.

I miss going out to the apartment playground and having an insta play date by sending a text or knock on the door of my friends by inviting them to join us.
But we are going to get through. The kids love the new playground and I have a few prospects for friends in my ward (Mormon term for congregation).

I also miss my neighborhood quilt/craft shop, Porters. It was Al and I's favorite store to just go window shopping in and we got some of our best crafting ideas from just browsing.
But the Joann's here is huge and the staff is really nice and knowledgeable. And it is only about 3 miles from home (which I see as a positive but could be a real negative for my fabric budget).

The other day I had a yummy burrito at a local Mexican restaurant that made me feel a little bit more at home.

What do you to make yourself more at home in a new area or new sort of environment? Would love to hear your ideas.

With Love,
Scary

2 comments:

  1. I move a lot. So each time I use a couple regular techniques to feel at home quickly. First, I unpack as fast as possible. That way the new house feels like home. Then I find a couple running routes so I can get to know the neighborhood. And the third thing is more mental. I tell myself to belong and be home. If you wait until it "feels right", it may take until it is time to leave. ~ Major Moma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. I definitely felt a little lost in Chicago and my way of dealing with it was to stay in the hole that we called our home and spend wonderful hours talking to my sisters on the phone until two months later when the sun finally came out.
    Way to get out and make do with nothing. I don't think I could have found my way back without either a phone or a GPS.
    When you're feeling down you should make your way to that incredible library that you have.
    I love you. Thanks for being so strong!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad