Post Top Ad

Family Favorite Banana Crumb Muffins {Nutless}

I am working on an awesome sewing project and by working, I really mean prepping my house for the craziness that happens when I go into project mode. Lately, I have been trying to do better about keeping up with house work. To be able to do this I have been reading few page installments of Joy of Homemaking by Daryl Hoole. Which for me has been a much lighter read than Art of Homemaking, because many of the examples are women who are really intelligent but just haven't learned the skills. She breaks it down to the little details. Which I actually found out that this book is the base of the Master Organizer.
One of the principles that she states in the first few chapters is that if you go to bed prepared for the next day (dishes done, table cleaned, etc.) then you can start "building" (cooking, scrapbooking, SEWING) your day earlier instead of not having time for it at all. She also suggests that wake up before or when your children do and start them eating and getting ready for the day. When I read this I realized that for this to happen for me, I really need to start baking, cooking or preparing something for the kiddos every morning. My kids never really get full on cold cereal and it always gets scattered every where. Lately, I have cooked several quick breads or muffins. 
I visited my inlaws this weekend and I had my sister in law give me the link to our favorite banana muffins. These muffins are so perfect for my family because they have no nuts and my family doesn't care for nuts and dessert breakfast to be mixed.

I made them this morning and made a few adaptions, but stayed fairly true to the original recipe.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup oil (I used this instead of the melted butter because it is cheaper and then I don't have to melt butter all over my microwave)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

Topping
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line (recipe says it makes 10, I got 12 full sized muffins) tin with muffin papers.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.   Make it easy on yourself by just using one dish by using a medium sized bowl start by mashing your bananas. Then put in your egg, sugar, and oil. Then put in your dry ingredients then mix until it is all incorporated.  Spoon batter into lined muffin tins (fill like 2/3 of the way). 
  3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

The kids and I had a few then we shared some with our neighbor and took some to Slim Jim (and for his co-worker) at work.

1 comment:

  1. HI! Found this posted on Ducks 'N a Row blog hop. This looks great! I definitely want to make these.
    ~Jackie @ The Non-Martha Momma

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad