Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Grandma Betty Gingersnap Cookies

Tonight at 7 PM (EDT) we will be co-hosting the Duck 'N Row

Sorry for the absence last week, Monday night we got a call from Momma Shaffer that our Grandpa Jack had passed from this life into the next one. I really didn't feel like blogging. I did an insane amount of sewing therapy to pull myself through the days (evidence on Instagram). 
Classic Demin Family Picture - taken for my Grandparents 50th Wedding Anniversary (13 years ago)
Even though we grew up 1 1/2 hours from Grandma Betty and Grandpa Jack my mom made sure that we visited frequently (at least a couple times a month during the school year and sometimes multiple days in the summer). The four of us were the only grandchildren so we were blessed to receive lots of one on one attention and love.

The delicious smells that came from my Grandma's tiny kitchen and my Grandpa's warmness and infectious laugh was a cozy country comfort at it's finest. It seemed like no matter if we were just dropping by or staying for a while we would get a good fill of both. One of my favorite treats that Grandma usually had on hand visitors was Gingersnap Cookies. When she would offer them to us from the kitchen Grandpa would yell to please bring him one as well with some milk.

Grandma Betty Gingersnap Cookies

Recipe from a Better Homes and Garden Cookbook from the 1940s or 50s.
3/4 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. light molasses
1 beaten egg
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. ginger

Cream shortening and sugar; add molasses and egg; beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients; mix well. Roll in small balls; dip into sugar; greasy cookies sheet. Bake in 375 F, 15 minutes. Make 4 Dozen,

Lightly greased pan.

Grandma suggests that you double the recipe so you are ready for guests, I was able to share with many of my neighbors. What is your favorite recipe to keep on hand for visitors or your family to snack on?

Fun Story about my Grandpa, before I go. Grandpa Jack loved buying, selling and breading horses. Most of our mom's childhood was spent in breaking horses. He wanted to make sure we had the same experience so when we were little he gave us a half pony/half Appaloosa horse, named Freckles. Because of this gift and letting us borrow other horses we are all pretty experienced riders.
With Love,
Scary


4 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a great man. There's a lot of comfort in the smells from childhood so I'm glad you were able to make some of those cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ginger snaps, but I've never tried making them. I guess I'll have to give it a try. Thank you for sharing your grandma's recipe on Fluster's Creative Muster. Now that you found our party I hope that you'll continue to join us every Tuesday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when things or recipes have a story behind. It;s always sweeter! Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe with us!!! Thanks so much for sharing this with me at Bewitch Me & Titi! Hope to have you back with another awesome share! Hope you are having a wonderful week!!!

    Hugs
    Cami @ TitiCrafty.com

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...