Post Top Ad

It's my birthday and I will cry if I want to.

Today has been a crazy day.  It all started at 7 this morning when Rogue came in to tell me she was poopy.  Then at 7:10 she was hungry.  At 7:11 she spilled.  At 7:15 she was in the tub.  Fast forward a few hours.   Superman was looking for his shoes to go help Captain America at a service project.  We looked for 10 minutes, only to find them under the bed in plain site.  But while we looked for the shoes, we found out that Rogue colored all over the cream color
ed couch with a permanent sharpie marker.
At noon I went to make dinner for the 10 kids that I have been caring for, for the last 2 weeks.  I made macaroni and cheese.  But I burned it, so I made some more.  Then I made brownies for a church dinner tonight. You know that pan of brownies?  Well the kids ate it, with their little sneaky fingers.  So, I made another pan of brownies and I put them out of reach.
Then I cleaned the permanent marker off the couch, and the floor, and I threw the tights with permanent marker on them away.
Next I did laundry, four loads.  I tried to feed the kids lunch, but half of the kids had already eaten, and the other half don't like Mac' n' cheese.
Captain America and Superman have been gone for several hours at this point.  At 3:30 I decide to get ready for the dinner at the church.  I shower, put on makeup and fix my hair.  I contemplate wearing a crocheted dress that I made, but decided against it at the last minute.  I went with heals, tights, a suit coat and a pencil skirt.
At 4:30 I left for the dinner, that started at 4:30.  I took the brownies.  We had soup and salad and desert.  We listened to several world wide leaders of our church.  We went home.
I got home to 4 kids down stairs saying, "sorry mommy, we can't make you a cake, but happy birthday."  and one of the upstairs kids saying,"the girls have been in the tub for hours (probably 3) waiting for you to wash their hair."  And superman saying, "Mommy can you read this letter from my school."  and Captain America wanting to know where the laundry goes.  So, instead, I instructed Captain America on dinner, its 7 pm at this point.  I changed the laundry.  Changed out of my ridiculous high heals and pencil skirt.  I washed 3 heads of hair and I left.

My sweet friend invited me out to frozen yogurt.  Her treat.  We ate at a little place called Jams.  It was so refreshing to talk with her.  We are going through similar situations right now, with our families.  We are struggling with this thing called life.  And, we were encouraging each other to remember our Father in Heaven, and that he has a plan for us.
It really  was the perfect end to a day that was a little more crazy than usual.  So, now I am 30 and I didn't cry, though I may have wanted to a few times.  But, on the way home, I thanked the Lord for a new friend.

With love,
-Jo

7 comments:

  1. Wow Jo, what a day. And here I was thinking you didn't answer your phone because you were partying all day. This kind of reminds me of "Alexander and the horrible, terrible, no good, very bad day" when the little boy tells his mom what kind of day it's been and she says "some days are like that, even in Australia."
    Thank you so much for sharing. It was comical to read and gave renewed perspective. I didn't get to tell you, but I think you're really great. You keep us grounded, you remind us what Christ would do, and you make the most out of tough situations. You are such a beautiful child of God.
    Love you,
    Al

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild day! Even on our birthday's we can't catch a break! But you deserved that yogurt! Happy late birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally cried on my 30th. Good for you for staying grounded and being positive. This has been the best year of my life, and I'm totally (sort of) ready for 31:)

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! I am sorry it was full of so many challenges. I suppose on the upside, it was memorable.
    I am so glad you got time to spend with your friend! Sometimes that is all we need to recharge for another day.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!
    And wow, what a rough day. Birthdays after becoming a mother are just not the same as before. New friends are a blessing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Jo! You are exactly a month older than I am! =D That was a hard day, I hope you can make up for it, though it's hard when you're a mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this sounds like a day around here! I usually have really lousy birthdays, too. I try to keep really, really low expectations. LOL! BUT, I keep in my that in another 30 years these kiddos will be all grown up and they say I will be misty eyed at the thought of crazy days like these. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad