Post Top Ad

Scirocco Jumpsuit {PR&P Week 3}

Hello, I don't know about the rest of you, but Project Run and Play, pattern testing, and guest posting are starting to play their toll on me. In the last week I decided that my sleep deprived body (I do most of my sewing at night when the kids are sleeping) couldn't handle week 3 of PR&P, but then my sister Scary reminded me of a helpful phrase, "Keep it simple sweetie."
I had just the thing ready to go that I had made for Ty this summer, but I still hadn't blogged about yet. Using 3 different commercial pattern pieces plus 2 of my own I was able to make this Scirocco Jumpsuit.The commercial patterns came from the top to Scirocco dress, a pocket from some little boy pants (my daughter loves pockets), and shortened little girl pants (cuffed to make them more summer friendly). The sleeves had been previously used in the Shindig Chevron and I self drafted placket w/ loops on the opposite side to give access to getting on and off the jumpsuit. I put the elastic casing in the pants to help keep it fitted. In addition, because Ty is so tall and skinny, I cut the Scirocco pattern pieces at a size 3T wide and 4T length. It took a little thinking, but everything worked out perfect. The fabric is actually gingham and was given to me from my friend's mom along with some other great fabric finds (do you remember the white and red flowered fabric in the perpetually prepared tunic, blazer, and pencil skirt?).
Funny Story: The first time Ty wore it out in public we were at a fabric store (of course) and I was getting my fabric cut. All of the sudden she had to go to the bathroom so I had Samson take her, but as they started walking away he said, "Umm so how do I get her out of this?" The covered buttons had blended right in and so he hadn't noticed them.
Everywhere Ty wears this, women comment on how stylish and cute it is. It was a lot of fun to make something 100% functional and also in style. I had planned on making 4 more of these to get us through each day of the week, but sometimes life just runs away with any spare time. I plan to make remixes of the same idea next summer. It was cool, comfortable, one piece (easy to pack and not have to worry about coordinating parts), and great to wash.
Luckily, Scary took these pictures one day on a walk because she knew that I still needed to blog about it. Ty loved all the flowers and I made her a morning glory crown. These are the good, non stressful days that I love. Is there anything in your life that could be simplified so that you had time to soak up the sun and smell the flowers?

With Love,
Al

10 comments:

  1. Cute! My daughter's scirocco dress is her favorite, I LOVE how you put those little flutter sleeves in there! I'm going to have to copy your idea for her, sans the pants, even though I love them, she is a total dress lover :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo adorable and such a different look for a jumpsuit! Keeping it simple usually results in the best garments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just love this! The back of the scirocco is just too cute and it's made even cuter with this little jumpsuit. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love the light blue color on little girls! Hope you can enjoy some downtime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely! The jumpsuit is a sweet remake of the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo cuteness! I have this dress pattern and have never made it... I just might be inspired now... I went with the classis plaid pjs for this week :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the back and the sleeves. Looks so fun for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You girls are amazing! I don't know how you do what you do...and keep your sanity :).... Funny you should mention the scirocco: we've been on a search for this exact pattern TODAY after seeing the "Sew Fab" sale coming up next week. We bought the 'pack of patterns' last year with the scirocco included, but haven't the faintest idea where we've stored them....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun idea turning it into a romper! Just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you are sleep deprived :( (I sew after the kids are in bed to!) But I am so glad you still sewed along. This turned out darling!-liZ

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad