Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fast Ghost Garland Using Mismatched Socks {Toddler Craft Project}

Today, Jo was suppose to share her Family Photo Stitched with Love project, but there is a slight change in plan. I have her pictures on one of my SD cards but I can't find the one that her pictures are on at the moment. If you are hungry for family pictures I would love to direct you to her "Just Another Day in Paradise" family pictures from last year.

I have a cold I can't beat (too many late nights sewing for the sew fab sale), in which everyday just taking care of the kids is all I can take. The kids haven't been sick which means that I need to find activities for them that keep them out of trouble and not make too big of messes.
Those you that follow us on Instagram, might have seen Slim Jim's ecstatic reaction to me folding socks (a chore I hadn't really done in months). Which means when I finally folded socks which meant we had several unmatched socks. Perfect for this quick kid friendly Halloween craft.

So many of the projects that I do, I work on late at night so I don't have to have the "help" of my kiddos. Love them but it usually leads to frustration. But it was so fun to do this because there was no right way to do it. Ryder was in crafting heaven. And Boston was on quality control to see if the ghosts would last through October by trying her best to destroy them.  Using a little Polyfill we filled the heads (the toe of the sock) and white embroidery floss to tie them off in no time we had several little ghosts. For the adult and toddler socks I cut off from the heel of the sock, in a zig zag fashion.

Ryder and I drew the little faces on them. It was fun to see Ryder's perfection concentration as he put on the faces. The hardest part was trying to get the ghosts from the kids to put it on the crochet thread to make the banner (I ended up leaving one off for them to play with).

Over all it was easy and the kids got to participate, which we both enjoyed. Now I don't have to feel like I am a bad mom because I am not great about decorating for seasonal stuff (we really don't have the storage space for seasonal decorations). Something that Ryder has recently noticed my short comings in this regard so I might try and look for something this easy (and cheap) for all the seasons.
Cost: $0, everything was used making supplies on hand

If you are good at matching your socks and don't have any socks lying around you might want to check out the red kitchen's: Ghost Garland. I already had my post in the works when I saw hers sweet one, I guess it is just a case of crafty minds think alike.
Tomorrow we return to our regular Family Photo Stitched with Love Series.

9 comments:

  1. Cute idea! I still haven't done any crafty projects with my girl and I probably should do one like this with her. I think she'd love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just the cutest idea! Love it! I'm featuring it on my social media sites on Saturday. Thanks so much for linking up.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I think your idea is so cute and a great way to recycle unused objects! I'll have a similar idea to try this week end using Kleenex instead of socks!
    I’m linking from weekend wonders tank for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great project !!

    I would love you to come and share @ Craft, Create & Inspire linky party !!!

    Look forward to seeing you there :)

    http://lemonpaperdesigns.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/craft-create-inspire-linky-party.html

    Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fantastic idea - you have no idea how many odd socks I have just waiting to be used for this! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so simple and so cute! I think we'll make some, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a super cute craft idea. We always have mismatched socks around so now we can do something with them!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...