Thursday, November 21, 2013

Katy Zipper Hangout Hoodie

When I started working on the dress I was trying to think why the Black & White stripe with Orange combo seemed so familiar to me. I knew I never had used it before and as soon as attached the hood it hit me. This dress looks like one of Katy from no big dill's rugs. It was strange for me to realize because I have never been in Katy's house (or ever met her) but a majority of her instagram posts drip with black, white and orange. In honor of that subliminal inspiration I am naming this flip after her. 
I am going to give the details of this refashion but if you are just here for the pictures that is okay too.

It seems like the last couple of weeks have been a real whirlwind with only a few hours spent at the sewing machine (which is very unique).  I have had in my mind since the beginning I would like to do the flip for the Hangout Hoodie. I have had half a dozen ideas floating around in my head but nothing solid, and the deadline was quickly approaching. I didn't know that I would have time to finish a flip before the deadline. 
Then other day I was sorting through fabric and getting it organized when I came across a black and white striped Liz Claiborne sweatshirt that I had picked up at a church swap event. I loved all the details (metal clamps on the pull string, metal holes for the pull string, pocket and zipper) that were in the original sweatshirt and wanted to use as many of them in my design as possible. I told myself after I got through my obligations last night I would spend some time sewing. Sometimes last minute sewing doesn't work out but this time it did. Here are the details:
To make sure the stripes matched up perfectly instead of cutting on the fold I printed two of the dress pattern pieces out and mirrored one and placed together. Then I used the front as my pattern piece for the back. 
My favorite part was the orange zipper. As I went to seam ripping, I fell in loved the construction of the top. I almost felt bad tearing it apart (but not bad enough to stop). My favorite part was the facing that made the zipper and hood lay flat, which I decided to keep and only seam ripped to the zipper so I could put it back in when it was time to put the hood in.
The shape of the top and the hood where more slanted and built up, or not as round as the Hangout Hoodie pattern pieces. Which I couldn't change if I wanted to keep the bright orange zipper. To make up for the difference I cut the back pattern pieces down at the same slope as the front was too high. I also wanted to use the metal holes and have the pull string so I added extra for what the front ribbing would have added. All of this was done late last night and I honestly was just hoping it would work. Happy enough it matched up perfectly.
For the sleeves I measured Boston's arm and then added 2 inches to the length of the sleeve because I wanted the sleeves to cover her hand similar to a fingerless glove. I added additional length to the dress because Boston is a 18 month across in Peek-a-Boo pattern measurements but a 2T+ in length.
I removed the metal clamps from the pull string and then cut the pull string down to the correct size and placed them back on the new ends.
On the original hoodie the pocket had been up on the cap region of the sleeve. It was attached very thoroughly and would have been impossible to seam rip and place (I am sure it would have destroyed it if I would have tried). So instead I cut around it narrowly and then placed it near the bottom of the skirt. I used the fabric that was attached to pocket as a guide (matching white stripe with white stripe and black stripe with black stripe). I then did a short stitch around the edges of the pocket.
This project was one of those where I had to keep repeating, "I think I can, I think I can". I broke 2 needles attaching the hood back on and had to do a little hand sewing to finish around the zipper. It was by far one of the most challenging sews I have done in a while. I really didn't know if it would be something Boston would even like, so I was pleased when she was so happy to put it on when it was finished. And raced me out the door for the photo shoot even though it is freezing today. She was even more excited when she realized I had sneaked in a few orange M&M's in her pocket. Now that is what I call a win-win!


16 comments:

  1. That is a cute little dress! I LOVE your tip to "unfold" your cut on fold pattern piece- I never in a million years would've thought of that. Way easier than trying to match striped on a knit fabric! Kudos:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very cute.....and so very Katy!!! Good call on the name, and yes....the orange zipper makes the outfit :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really adorable! Love the stripes with the orange... and you did a really beautiful job matching up those stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so cute...I love it! Re-purposed fabrics are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Love the orange details. Great job! Congratulations on your win!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love black and white stripes. The orange pop up makes it special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the re-purpose! Love the color combo...where did you find that orange zipper?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dress is so cute and comfortable. Love the orange accent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this outfit! The color palette is perfect and the orange! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love, love, love the color combination! What a great refashion :) You can see our submission for week 3 here: http://skirtfixation.com/?p=1581 We went with black & white and an accent color too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the orange details are fantastic.
    great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute and the fit is very nice! Love how the orange color pops!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha! This is very No Big Dill ;o) Super cute! I love the colors together and that pattern is just so versatile! I'm loving project Run and PLay! I also linked up this week, a recycled Sweater...Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...