Post Top Ad

Homemead Cooked Cereal Bread

As the weather cools off, we tend to eat a lot more cooked cereal.  We love cracked wheat. Farina, Grits, and Rolled oats.  Really anything that warms the tummy and sticks to the ribs, I am a fan of.  Plus I don't know if you've noticed, but a good grain cereal is full of vitamins and minerals at a fraction of the cost.
However, from time to time, we have leftovers.  Yes, even in this burgeoning home of 8.  So, what do I do with the leftover cereal?  Let me show you.  


 It just takes two cups of your left over cereal (ours was oatmeal this time)



 Leftover Cereal Bread Recipe
4-4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3  1/4 tsp of yeast
1 c water
1/3 c brown sugar
4 tsp butter
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
2 c. cooked cereal 
I throw the cereal, water, sugar, and yeast in the mixing bowl and let it stir on low for about 3 minutes.  Let it rest for five.  Next add all of the other ingredients and stir for 5 minutes.  I have to take mine up to a medium high speed.  Let it rest for 10 minutes.  Stir for 2 rest for 10.  I continue this process for about an hour.  Then I let it rise to double. (about 20-30 minutes).  After it rises I punch it down and this recipe makes to loaves so I seperate it, and shape the loaves, and let it rise to double again.  All the while preheating the oven to 350.  When the bread has risen again, I put them in the oven for 30 minutes.  It smells done at 20, but leave it in!  When the timer rings, pull them out and butter the tops.  This leaves the tops soft and moist enough to cut without crumbles.  I have never had this bread recipe fail me.  Good luck!  Try it and let me know what you think.



 I love the way a buttered top looks!  So warm and shiny.  It can't be beat!


Butter the bread and add some honey, and call it breakfast.  At least we do.  Thats what makes us Superheros!
With Love,
-Jo

3 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My baby and I are the only ones who like hot cereal. So I don't get to enjoy it as much as I would like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made it a few times with oatmeal and it's the only bread I can get right (mostly to raise). It's really soft! Then, I just made it with cream of wheat yesterday and I had to add an extra cup of flour to make it the right consistency, but it worked. You'll probably think I'm weird, but I had two small bananas that I needed used but it wasn't enough to make banana bread, so I actually made my cream of wheat with a mixture of mashed bananas and milk. If you eat the bread plain you can vaguely tell that there's banana in it, but it's not strong. It made the bread sweeter than it'd normally be, but it's still pretty yummy. Thanks for the one bread recipe that turns out well each time I made it...that's unusual for me. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Post Top Ad