Monday, January 20, 2014

Good Morning (Singing In the Rain Inspired PR&P)


Singing in the Rain is my favorite movie of all time. Well that and Remember the Titans. Without fail it can bring a smile to my face and is easy inspiration for a fun and unique look. I can't think of a main costume in that movie that I don't love (if you exclude the scene "Beautiful Girl" (around 1:02); those are all really strange, but it will probably make you smile so you should check it if you've never seen it.


Without a doubt my favorite part of the show is Good Morning and the movie premiere that leads up to it.

From the premiere (their first talking picture):
The audio and video get off, and beyond that it's a disaster so it takes what should be a love story and turns it into more of a comedy.
...
"No, no, no" (in Lina's voice with a mustache man shaking his head yes)


"Yes, yes, yes" (in the mustache man's voice with Lina's dainty face saying no)


Later while problem solving the end of a successful movie career, they start singing "Good Morning." The dancing is incredible and the accordion style dress that Debbie Reynolds models is awesome. Needless to say Ty had to have an accordion style skirt and lightning bolt v-neck sweater.

Here's a picture from the movie so that you can see my inspiration if you're not familiar with Singing in the Rain (Image Source)
The skirt was made from a remnant of a sheet from my mom. The sweater was made from a thrift store mens sweater using modifications of the Downtown V-neck Top (2T width with 3 inches added in length on sleeve and bodice and a facing on the neckline). The bolt design was done with discharge paste to lighten it and then a layer of white paint to whiten it.


If you haven't seen it yet, you should probably check it out! It's #6 best movie of all time on the American Film Industry's list. Not only that but the fashion styling is amazing (for boys and girls). The designer was truly an artist, and I aspire to be that visionary someday. That you could create stunning, timeless pieces.


Needless to say, when I saw the theme in the movies for PR&P, I didn't have to think twice about what my inspiration would be. I had planned a costume for my son as well, but when push came to shove, I redirected my time and attention to pattern drafting instead.

Keep following us in the next month and you'll be in for a real treat (especially if you like sewing for kids).

With Love,
Al

23 comments:

  1. Adorable outfit and great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie patootie! Love the big smile on her face at the end! The outfit is killer - all those knife pleats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a good look.
    can't believe you found that lightening bolt sweater you found at the thrift store.
    i need one just like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for catching that I totally forgot to mention that I put the design on with discharge paste and white fabric paint. The whole time I was making it I kept saying, "I wish this was mine"!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous! I love it! Especially the lightning bolt on the sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT! I was so thinking about doing Singin' in the Rain as it is one of my favorite movies! But alas, it didn't work out. Great job though. Love the pleats! YES! YES! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this outfit! Great work on making an accordion skirt! It might be a tough work :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so wonderful! I love the pleated skirt & I love this movie, use to sing it all the time when I lived in Portland, OR!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that is adorable! Such a good movie to choose. That scene! I love the pleated skirt. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So adorable! Great work on the pleated skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I just love the pictures of you with her! Love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling outfit! I really love the photos of you and Ty together. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this movie too! SUCH a cute outfit and a perfect interpretation for your cutie! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this outfit! What is discharge paste??? I'm curious! I'm going to have to watch this movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love that movie!! Your outfit is awesome! That skirt must have taken forever will all those pleats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pleated skirt looks so beautiful! What a job on that sweater design!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, this outfit is so sweet! You're little darling makes it even cuter! What a great movie theme, and great job on those pleats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. very cute! Both the top and skirt are adorable!!! I also linked up this week... a {movie} star dress! ;o) Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete
  18. This look is awesome! I totally love the look and all the pleats in the skirt are so good! Your model is pretty stinking cute too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Darling outfit with so many details from the original outfit! Those pleats must have been a lot of work to do... great job on the math.
    Deborah
    sewmuchtogive

    ReplyDelete
  20. that skirt is adorable! but I love that sweater. I haven't used discharge paste yet - but this makes me want to run out and find some.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like that it is so wearable! And that little princess of yours just gets prettier and prettier. =D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ahhhh, I LOVE a good, old movie....but have somehow missed this classic {heard of it only....but have never watched it}. Must. Watch. Soon!!

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...