Monday, January 6, 2014

My Mother in Law's Famous Chicken Noodle Soup

The weekend Slim Jim and I got engaged I was introduced to my mother in law's awesome soup making abilities. In a course of a few hours she had 3 different soups for Slim Jim and his sister. One of the soups that she made was this Chicken Noodle Soup and I was sold. If you want to know how good is when I get sick (cold or stomach) this is the only thing that I want I have actually made this when I hardly have strength to stand. That said I love this even when I don't have a cold it is a good dose of comfort.
My Mother in Law's Famous Chicken Noodle Soup
4-5 Medium Carrots
Celery
1 Medium Onion
1 large bag or 2 small of Grandma's Frozen Noodles (or homemade noodles more on that later)
3 to 4 Chicken Bullion Cubes
6 Chicken Breasts (if you use breast with bone and skin you will get more flavor from the chicken but it takes more work as well, sometimes I do it with and sometimes not)
Seasonings to taste (I like Italian Seasoning or sometimes I just do salt and pepper)

Fill a large pot about 1/2 the way full with water, start it on medium heat. Chop Carrots, Celery and Onion. Drop chopped veggies into water. Put the lid on the pot cook it at medium heat until onions get clear. Drop in uncooked chicken breasts, turn the heat to medium high you should have a slight boil but you don't want it too hot. Let it cook for at least 30 minutes then pull the chicken out and shred it, then return the chicken to the pot. Taste stock and add seasoning to taste.

Sometimes I will steal a little bit of the stock from this soup to use in other things, like my chicken pot pie. Because there is a big difference in taste when it is homemade stock.

Defrost noodles for 1 minute in microwave, then drop them in the soup. Let the soup cook for at least another 20 minutes, so noodles can get super soft.

Even though this soup takes a lot of time to cook you will be grateful in the end. Often times we have extra after and I freeze it in quart sized bags. Then when we get very sick, we will defrost it in the fridge until it can come out of the bag. Then I warm it up on the stove top. It is always such a relief to know that we will have the golden elixir to get over our aliments.

What is the meal that you crave when you are sick? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Your comments help us evaluate what content is most useful to you by leaving a quick comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...